Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

28 Feb, 2018 (edited)
2018-2-28 1:22:39 PM UTC

Mark D. Faith wrote:
We made a mistake commenting on the lies on this forum. We won’t do it again. Contact us directly if you wished to discuss matters further. We do want to qualify the comment above as its important and some may misunderstand.

Mark,

Hopefully, you may answer my question this time, instead of the last response that you gave.

1) You have replied by using "We", Who else, apart from yourself, is making these accusations?
2) It was stated that "lies on this forum" were given, can you quote some or any of the "lies on this forum"?

Please could you, if you answer, try to keep your response to the questions that have been asked of you?

Please don't digress from the questions that have been asked, as you have done so far with replies, we want to see you answering questions that were asked?
3 Mar, 2018
2018-3-3 8:42:18 PM UTC
To get back to the very first post that started all this, from Stu; I thought this was going to happen & it has. Someone is bidding on that 1998 Deluxe copy, with the opening bid being AU$1,700. No comment on whether it's worth this or not, but why bid on this when there is a copy on AbeBooks for basically the same price?

https://affiliates.abebooks.com/c/9724 ... 3Dsnippet-_-srp1-_-title6

If the ABE dealer is looking for around that price one might even secure it for less. Seems a lot of money to be throwing around in an auction.

BH
3 Mar, 2018 (edited)
2018-3-3 10:50:45 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
To get back to the very first post that started all this, from Stu; I thought this was going to happen & it has. Someone is bidding on that 1998 Deluxe copy, with the opening bid being AU$1,700. No comment on whether it's worth this or not, but why bid on this when there is a copy on AbeBooks for basically the same price?

https://affiliates.abebooks.com/c/9724 ... 3Dsnippet-_-srp1-_-title6

If the ABE dealer is looking for around that price one might even secure it for less. Seems a lot of money to be throwing around in an auction.

BH

I see this all the time, where books get bid on for more than you could buy the same thing on Abe for. The bidder only as "11" feedback, so likely to be inexperienced. Will be interesting to see where it goes from here. I fully expect to hear from Mark (but that's OK, as I have mined his prior posts and website for inconsistent statements...)

[Edit: Sold, one bidder. They would almost certainly have been better just talking the lower priced of the Abe sellers. The Abe CC fees are so high that many will give 10% off just for not going via Abe.

I guess we will see with the next one whether this price was an abberation or they genuinely got more expensive. Hard to tell when there is only one bid
]
4 Mar, 2018
2018-3-4 5:33:16 PM UTC
Well, let's be realistic here; this copy is probably going to rock up on a bookseller's site &/or ABE very soon for double the price. I get a feeling that lots of these big price-tag items on eBay aren't going to collectors anymore.

BH
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us