Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 12:49:51 PM UTC
Fair enough, its my "professional" opinion based on years of dealing and millions in Tolkien related sales. That's a bit better than amateur bloggers! Indeed, nearly all information on Tolkien is firsthand opinion, especially the older information.
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 12:53:48 PM UTC
Who are these "amateur bloggers" you keep referring to? There are people on here who have been collecting, buying, & writing on Tolkien for as long as you claim to have been selling. Why should I listen to your opinion over theirs?

What, for example, makes your signed copy of The Silmarillion (that you're selling/sold) any more signed that this 1998 copy? Taking into account the fact that you have zero provenance with that copy since you just bought it off a guy on eBay.

BH
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 1:14:50 PM UTC
If this is so accurate about their experience, its not reflected in the accuracy of their opinions expressed on this forum, including that yes, I recently sold both my CT signed books for their list price? In fact, their lack of experience and misinformation presented here cost some other readers of this forum the opportunity to buy these signed books before I did. This is a good reason to accept opinions based on real world experience, from professionals, instead of from those little people of high opinion sitting on the sidelines offering their meaningless opinions, no matter how long they've been doing it. You want to dismiss the professional experience of distinguishing real signatures from fakes, when little providence exists for most signatures on the market in all genres? I can't think of many authors or sports figures etc that offer signed COA's with their signed items? The rest is all opinion and hearsay of dealers and collectors alike.
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 1:36:55 PM UTC
I still don't see you providing any evidence here.

Expertise does not trump provenance, Mark. COA's are worthless crap if they are issued by someone who has as little idea of the book provenance as I have. And this goes across the board for all collecting. Are you a handwrinting expert too?

When Ted Nasmith says to me (private correspondence) that he recalls signing these books and when people at HC talk about signing sheets being sent to France for CT to sign, I'm to think what exactly? That's these people are bare faced liars? Disbelieve all of these people (& we're talking publishing directors at HC here) & instead listen to you, Mark Faith.

Keep dreaming buddy.

BH
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 2:01:33 PM UTC
Yes on certain authors and artist, I am a handwriting expert, its part of my trade to be so. I know Ted and I know the directors at HC as well as other publishers. I know the trade here also. I've indicated that is Ted's signature, I know first hand because I sell his original art and know his signature. Asking Ted his opinion of another signature, is still just an opinion. Its not fact either. This is what most collectors don't understand: conventional wisdom from little bloggers is not fact. If you are so knowledgeable about real providence or obtaining it, why don't you ask HC if CT actually signed these books and not some HC assistant as I think? Your rule should work both ways. You can't call for providence from me without it coming from the other side also, otherwise that's just more opinion, isn't it?

I've expressed all that I care to here with you and on this OP, unless you have a new topic?
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 2:16:37 PM UTC
No, let's not have a new topic. I'm calling you out here.

Let's get straight. These have been sold by HC as signed by CT & Ted. And this carries no weight in a discussion between someone (you) who claims they're not signed by CT & another (me) who belives that they are?

The onus is clearly on you to provide evidence that these signatures are not CTs. You have this I assume? And you provide COAs, correct? It's your professional opinion that these are fake; you've stated this in your previous post.
This is almost certainly not signed by Christopher Tolkien, but by the publisher on his behalf. We know this publisher well having worked with them ourselves. The signature is obviously not his.
If I contact HC I assume they'll confirm what you've said, correct? And if they confirm that they were signed by CT we can expect you to accept this?

BH
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 2:23:08 PM UTC
Here's a little tidbit related to my previous post. Professor Tolkien was not a household name when Allen & Unwin published his early editions. Like most publishers or businesses, written records took up space and were only kept long enough for tax purposes before being thrown out. With them, lots of first hand correspondence from both sides. How do I know, my old boss worked as an accountant for A&U and he threw them out! So where does all this publishing information now come from, nearly all is hearsay from people who worked at the printers as floor sweepers or other related companies. Its amazing how much fact and evidence comes out, after someone becomes a household name. Tolkien was hardly known in his early days, was not a bestseller in his own country, UK, or the rest of the world until the late 60's in America and the publication of the LotR paperbacks. What has happen just the last decade or so is the internet has revealed how little we do know about Tolkien, the printings and the inspiration for his works. He was a private man and expressed little during his lifetime. Since then, plenty of wananabe scholars have had lots to say, on very little real information. An officially supported biopic would go a long way, but we won't get it.
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 2:29:38 PM UTC
Some people (unlike your "old boss") copied this stuff before it was binned. HC also inherited some of the records; they're still there. To suggest everything out there that you disagree with is meaningless collector talk is clearly nonsense. Plus, this information vacuum is the same source of your expert knowledge; so clearly you're not to be believed either if your theory made any sense to begin with...

BH
25 Feb, 2018 (edited)
2018-2-25 2:36:54 PM UTC
Others can read what I have written, you don't need to cut and paste out of context. I'm absolutely certain HC will say these books were signed by CT, whether they were or not, as collectors paid good money for them! Yes, it is my professional opinion this edition shown was not actually signed by Christopher and as soon as you produce a letter from him, not HC, stating he signed them, I'll recant my opinion. In the meantime, as officially signed collectors editions, I hold to my original post that they are valuable, contrary to the OP, but I'll add, not as valuable as books actually signed by CT.
25 Feb, 2018
2018-2-25 2:44:17 PM UTC
That is absolutely Christopher Tolkien's signature. He employs two different signature styles: one for correspondence and personal signings/inscriptions, and another (as here) for impersonal/mass signings. I have examples of both in my collection, and a statement about the two styles from Christopher himself.

Moreover, I bought my brother a copy of this edition for his wedding present, and I can tell you based on that as well that it is entirely legit.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us