Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Mar, 2018
2018-3-9 8:43:11 PM UTC
Ahhh i forgot the thread from before, thanks. Its a nice book. First one i have seen though, but i guess with limited copies its not suprising.
9 Mar, 2018
2018-3-9 10:36:07 PM UTC
My sincerest apologies if this was asked, but when I tried to find any information no this Thornton edition, my attempt has been fruitless so far.

I understand that Thornton is an established "bookstore(?)" in England and I assume the aforementioned bookstore commissioned the Temple Bindery to rebind the Silmarillion and Roverandom and subsequently issued them for sale as "Thornton's Limited Edition."

My questions are as follow;

Why are these book so desirable? Arn't these merely rebinds done by a private company with no official affiliation with HarperCollins? They do not even belong on the pantheon of the "Tolkienbooks.net." I love rebound books and despite the discouragement from most of the venerated members here, I have purchased a rebound Hobbit to add to my personal collection. I just don't understand what is so special about these "Thornton's Limited Edition" copies when they are not officially "licensed" products, like the Limited Edition Folio Society ones.

I state this with some element of humor, but can't everyone practically have Bayntun-Riviere or the Chelsea Bindery rebind the original 1st Ed. 1st Imp. copies, put a faceplate with the following notes " [Insert your name]'s Limited Edition" and sell them for nonsensical pricing? This is how I look at it, but once again, being a novice collector, I would be extremely grateful if someone could educate me on this!
10 Mar, 2018 (edited)
2018-3-10 1:50:40 AM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:
My sincerest apologies if this was asked, but when I tried to find any information no this Thornton edition, my attempt has been fruitless so far.

I understand that Thornton is an established "bookstore(?)" in England and I assume the aforementioned bookstore commissioned the Temple Bindery to rebind the Silmarillion and Roverandom and subsequently issued them for sale as "Thornton's Limited Edition."

My questions are as follow;

Why are these book so desirable? Arn't these merely rebinds done by a private company with no official affiliation with HarperCollins? They do not even belong on the pantheon of the "Tolkienbooks.net." I love rebound books and despite the discouragement from most of the venerated members here, I have purchased a rebound Hobbit to add to my personal collection. I just don't understand what is so special about these "Thornton's Limited Edition" copies when they are not officially "licensed" products, like the Limited Edition Folio Society ones.

I state this with some element of humor, but can't everyone practically have Bayntun-Riviere or the Chelsea Bindery rebind the original 1st Ed. 1st Imp. copies, put a faceplate with the following notes " [Insert your name]'s Limited Edition" and sell them for nonsensical pricing? This is how I look at it, but once again, being a novice collector, I would be extremely grateful if someone could educate me on this!

I'm not convinced they are *especially* desirable (beyond what one might expect for a good quality rebind). Personally, I quite like the Roverandom. The Silmarillion binding, being like the jovial Roverandom one, seems rather misguided.
10 Mar, 2018
2018-3-10 2:34:21 AM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:

Thorntons has been around for a long, long time and had a Tolkien specialization focus for many decades. From their website http://www.thorntonsbooks.co.uk/:

Established in Oxford in 1835 - Member of the ABA since 1907

So they have established a customer base, and (at the time) were quite able to sell these custom editions to collectors who knew and loved their store. I believe, but don't have any evidence at hand, that these were blessed by the publisher, but as you say there's no need for that.

So, in short, yes - anyone can do custom rebinds and try to sell them on at a premium. Thorntons did this.
10 Mar, 2018
2018-3-10 8:54:40 PM UTC
Thank you for the answers!

I sincerely doubt that Thorntons received some kind of official blessing by HarperCollins and even if they had, certainly not at the level that Folio Society enjoys with the rights to publish ornate versions of the original works.

I am just startled by the obscene pricing charged by the secondary market sellers when it comes to the rebound work by Thornton's. I still believe that there is a huge difference between rebound books that have received some kind of endorsement from the original publisher vs. books rebound by [insert your name] without any blessing. Without any form of official recognition or a nod by HarperCollins, I don't see a single speck of difference between a book that has been rebound by Temple Bindery under the request of [insert your name] vs. a book that has been rebound by Temple Bindery under the request of Thornton Bookstore, completely regardless of the fact that the aforementioned bookstore is a century old and the rebound books come in "limited editions."

I just wanted to cover more on this because there is a high likelihood that another novice collector like me could pay obscene pricing demanded by the secondary market sellers to acquire rebound Thornton books, with misguided belief that these rebound works are on a equal footing with the works done by the Folio Society (which belong in the Pantheon of the published works on Tolkienbooks.net).
10 Mar, 2018
2018-3-10 9:36:42 PM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:
Thank you for the answers!

I sincerely doubt that Thorntons received some kind of official blessing by HarperCollins and even if they had, certainly not at the level that Folio Society enjoys with the rights to publish ornate versions of the original works.

Remember that Thorntons weren't publishing anything. HarperCollins and GA&U published the books. Thorntons was rebinding. Completely different situation than Folio.
10 Mar, 2018
2018-3-10 10:27:59 PM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:
I am just startled by the obscene pricing charged by the secondary market sellers when it comes to the rebound work by Thornton's. I still believe that there is a huge difference between rebound books that have received some kind of endorsement from the original publisher vs. books rebound by [insert your name] without any blessing. Without any form of official recognition or a nod by HarperCollins, I don't see a single speck of difference between a book that has been rebound by Temple Bindery under the request of [insert your name] vs. a book that has been rebound by Temple Bindery under the request of Thornton Bookstore, completely regardless of the fact that the aforementioned bookstore is a century old and the rebound books come in "limited editions."

I just wanted to cover more on this because there is a high likelihood that another novice collector like me could pay obscene pricing demanded by the secondary market sellers to acquire rebound Thornton books, with misguided belief that these rebound works are on a equal footing with the works done by the Folio Society (which belong in the Pantheon of the published works on Tolkienbooks.net).

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and that is fine.

However I am not a novice collector and enjoyed adding both the Roverandom & Silmarillion Thornton’s editions to my collection. Every collector is different and all have their own likes and dislikes. The “footing” that one would ascribe to a book lies in the mind of each individual and varies from person to person. Just my two cents on the matter.

{Not trying to be disrespectful to your opinion - just giving my own}
10 Mar, 2018
2018-3-10 11:22:12 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Remember that Thorntons weren't publishing anything. HarperCollins and GA&U published the books. Thorntons was rebinding. Completely different situation than Folio.

You are absolutely right.

I just wanted to reiterate on the fact that the Thornton rebinding by the Temple Bindery is in no way, different than those done by other private binderies on behest of individual collectors and as such, the prospective buyers should practice their own discretion in assessing their values (or perform more due diligence) prior to the purchase.

With the new TV shows coming up in the next few years, there will be a flood of new collectors trying to get a piece of Middle-Earth history and I would like to avoid the situation where another novice collector purchase the Thornton edition based on a belief that it is an officially "licensed" rebound books by HarperCollins.

remy wrote:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and that is fine.

However I am not a novice collector and enjoyed adding both the Roverandom & Silmarillion Thornton’s editions to my collection. Every collector is different and all have their own likes and dislikes. The “footing” that one would ascribe to a book lies in the mind of each individual and varies from person to person. Just my two cents on the matter.

{Not trying to be disrespectful to your opinion - just giving my own}

I apologize if I stepped over the boundary. If I had more disposable income (or if my wife allows me), I would have added Thornton Edition the Hobbit & the Silmarillion to my meager but growing collection. Despite everyone dissuading me from buying rebound works, I found rebound books so fascinating and utterly beautiful that I purchased the 1st Ed. 1st Imp. rebound work from the Chelsea Bindery and I had Bayntun-Riviere rebound another copy (they are still working on it).

Once again, I just wanted to let another novice buyers understand that the rebound Thornton Edition books are in no way, similar to the Folio Society, and are no different from other rebound works commissioned by individual collectors.
10 Mar, 2018
2018-3-10 11:54:01 PM UTC
The_Antiquarian wrote:
I apologize if I stepped over the boundary.

[...]

Once again, I just wanted to let another novice buyers understand that the rebound Thornton Edition books are in no way, similar to the Folio Society, and are no different from other rebound works commissioned by individual collectors.

Don't apologize, this is a good conversation and your opinion is valuable and in no way "wrong". I agree with your last statement quoted above, in that these are "after market" rebindings.

Collectors should treat all of their prospective purchases through the filter your mention - their own assessment of its desirability to them, and not for some potential future "value". Scarcity (including manufactured scarcity by custom rebindings like the Thorntons ones) does not necessarily lead to desirability.

Back to these Thorntons rebindings - from very sparse data, they appear to find buyers eventually when they come on the market - I haven't bought or sold any myself, so I can't say much on pricing history, sorry. They don't draw me like other bindings (though I agree that the Roverandom feels fun and appropriate, while the Silmarillion seems made to match Roverandom's binding rather than the contents of the book).

I do feel that Thorntons custom stuff has lost whatever aura the bookseller used to have, as they have drastically reduced their presence and moved out of Oxford. Today's newer collectors probably have no idea who they are/were, and don't need to. If the books draw you in enough to really want them contact the seller and see if you can work something out!
11 Mar, 2018
2018-3-11 12:42:29 PM UTC
I have a copy of Thornton's Roverandom. I don't usually go in for re-bindings myself, I much prefer my books in their original condition; but on one occassion when I was visiting Ian Barnes of Temple Bookbinders (on an unrelated matter) some years ago, he brought out one of the out-of-sequence copies - that is, not numbered/lettered or whatever - and I was so taken by it that I bought it. It remains my only re-bound copy to date.

I quite like the look of the Silm, too (though it's out of my price range). I know it looks a bit odd, with the cover design matching Roverandom; but to my mind it's no odder than what Easton Books do with their LotR, Silm etc - that is, to replicate the cover design for TH, along with the lines from 'Stand by the grey stone...'
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us