Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Please Help Me Assess the Condition of this Hobbit

30 Apr, 2018 (edited)
2018-4-30 4:22:39 PM UTC

Greetings!

It has always been a dream to own the 1st Edition 1st Impression the Hobbit in a near-fine dust jacket. Although the pricing is still out of range, I am currently eyeing several of the books that seem to fit my "condition requirements" and I figured it would be best to seek expert opinions from true Tolkien bibliophiles here.

With complete disregard to the listed pricing, the seller of the book, and its provenance, I would be most grateful if you guys could give me an honest assessment of the condition of this book.

The condition of the book is described as follows:

"Jacket has minor conservation re-enforcement to spine head, jacket corners and to two small closed tears and corners to stop further tattering, though we do not conisder this restoration, but to provide support to avoid further tearing. Hardly detectable except under bright light"

Further description is given on the other site:

"Fine book and fine original dust jacket with minor restoration to spine head and corners. Book is very clean, has small owners signature to inside cover, slight reading curve to spine, no other flaws. Jacket has minor conservation repairs mostly to spine head, jacket corners."

Would you guys consider the condition of the dust-jacket of this Hobbit as "near-fine?" Several of the conservation work has been performed as stated on the description and "minor restoration" to spine head and corners. Would you guys consider such conservation/restoration work done, too extensively done and could adversely affect the value of the book or is the conservation work so minor that other bibliophiles will be indifferent to it (and does not adversely affect the value)?

I consorted one of the most esteemed members from Grolier Club and upon brief examination, he seems to be OK with such minor restoration/conservation work done on the dust-jacket and believes such work would not decrease the value of this copy; "The small repairs to reenforce tears in the dust-jacket is not a serious problem to me, as there is theoretically no missing paper that has been supplied in actually restoring any missing printed area."

Also having examined several of the most recent sales made in Sotheby's and Freeman Auction, it seems like books with similar restoration/conservation work have been sold successfully, meeting the high-end estimates or even surpassing the original estimates.

If I were to purchase the Hobbit with DJ, most likely this will be the last purchase of the Hobbit in my lifetime, as I will be moving onto collecting other titles. The fact that I do not own the copy keeps me sleepless at nights! Would this qualify as a "near-fine" dust jacket, worthy of being labelled as the "grail piece" to any Tolkien collectors?

Please help!

4684_5ae742af72b81.jpg 800X608 px

4684_5ae742c082483.jpg 1280X556 px

4684_5ae747d3d4e5c.jpg 900X388 px
30 Apr, 2018
2018-4-30 4:34:31 PM UTC
That certainly looks near fine to me! Given that the restoration work is reinforcement and not replacement, that dustjacket is in remarkable condition.
30 Apr, 2018
2018-4-30 5:01:25 PM UTC
Please be aware that two auctions are coming up in the next month for 1st/1st Hobbits with excellent dustjackets.

https://www.forumauctions.co.uk/42520/ ... no&title=&view=lot_detail

and

https://fonsiemealy.ie/auctions/lot-5490303/
30 Apr, 2018
2018-4-30 5:25:30 PM UTC
Hello Urulöké and Trotter, thank you very much for the info!

By the way, I see that the copy auctioned at Fonsiemealy is supposedly an unrestored copy with tears on the edges, but no missing parts.
What would be a more desirable copy to Tolkien bibliophile, disregarding their price tags? The one sold at Fonsiemealy or the one that I have listed above?

The one at Fonsie Mealy states that the condition of the dust jacket is in "extremely fine" condition, btw.
30 Apr, 2018
2018-4-30 5:32:42 PM UTC
Go for the one that you like the best.
30 Apr, 2018
2018-4-30 5:50:41 PM UTC
It's is incredibly hard to compare dustjacket flaws from scanned images - ignoring the possibility of photoshopping (for legibility, brightness adjustments, etc. in addition to the very rare bad actor), scans can mask flaws or really make them look much worse than they appear in person, it just depends on lighting, angle, if it was pressed against glass on a scanning bed or a photograph, etc.

I think adding non-original material to the presentation of a dustjacket would lessen the desirability - to be clear I don't think any of the three in this conversation have done this.

Flawless dustjackets command a higher price than flawed ones, but there is so rarely more than one high end Hobbit on the market at the same time, that comparing prices means you are also comparing marketplace shifts in the months or years in between sales. Did the value of the hobbit that sold for ~$100k fifteen years ago come from the condition? The movie hype? Something else? Once that buyer had a copy and "left the market", did other prices come down because they weren't bidding on subsequent auctions against the other handful of collectors and dealers that trade in first Hobbits? Impossible to tell with so few data points.

Buy the best condition you can, that you can afford, for something you really want in your collection. Remember that if you want to sell it again later, you have three options:

1. Sell it at auction again. Probably you will pay 20% or more of the hammer price in seller's fees, so the market would have to shift at least 25% higher for you to get your sunk costs back.

2. Sell it to a dealer, or put on consignment with one. Selling outright will likely mean they pay 50% or so of what they think they can sell it for. Consignment might get you more (once they find a customer) but I don't expect you'd ever get more than 75% or so of the final sale price based on my experience.

3. Find a buyer yourself and negotiate a price. You get to keep all of the money (minus bank fees for the transaction, but those are probably a few percent at best). This could take years of hunting for the handful of buyers willing to spend this kind of money for a private transaction, and building their trust in you as a seller could be challenging. Advertising fees, etc. to get the right people to be aware that you have one for sale could end up running a significant percentage of the final price, depending - there's a reason most high end books go through auction houses and dealers, and why they charge what they do for their services.

Just thoughts off the top of my head. I would say that the Tolkien collecting community is not the same as the high end book collecting community that drops tens of thousands of dollars on first editions any more, sadly. I know of maybe two or three people in the world who avidly collect Tolkien *and* can afford first edition copies of The Hobbit (and they have copies already), and I know many hundreds of Tolkien collectors.
30 Apr, 2018
2018-4-30 5:55:28 PM UTC
To clarify this "the Tolkien collecting community is not the same as the high end book collecting community that drops tens of thousands of dollars on first editions any more, sadly" -

What I mean is that a few decades ago, an avid Tolkien collector could afford first editions if they were patient. The run-up to the movies and subsequent popularity has pushed Tolkien firsts of H and LotR into a whole different world of book collectors.
30 Apr, 2018 (edited)
2018-4-30 8:59:45 PM UTC
I've seen that copy for sale and thought it was a nice restoration. However, anyone restoring a book like that has before as well as after pics. You need to judge the actual condition of the dust-jacket from the before pics, which the seller should be able to supply. As Uruloke suggests, you will likely lose money, even if you find someone willing to pay the same price as you in the future, due to all the fees. That said, predicting where prices will go on these in the future is anyone's guess. Book collecting is fashion driven and things go in and out of fashion.

[Edit: Worth also noting there are a LOT of these coming to market at the moment -- way more than I have ever seen before]

[Edit 2:

"The fact that I do not own the copy keeps me sleepless at nights!"

It really shouldn't -- it is just a book. I think there is a point that collecting (of anything) can become a bit unhealthy, and if not having something in your collection is a source of stress, that is not good (IMHO)!]
1 May, 2018
2018-5-1 10:59:44 AM UTC
I agree with Stu. Collecting shouldn't be too stressful. If it is, it isn't a good hobby anymore.
I am stressed from time to time, but it is usually connected to lost books in transit.
You can't influence that though.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us