Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By Stu
Home away from home

The inexorable march to having all the Longmans printings continues

7 May, 2018
2018-5-7 5:28:29 AM UTC

Picked up a decent, cheap 4th impression (1969) to add to the bucket of 1st impressions.

At this rate, I'll have them all by about 2025... I'd probably have gotten a little closer if I wasn't (a) such a scrooge, and (b) so fussy on condition.

228_5aefe3fd7ccaa.jpg 640X480 px
7 May, 2018
2018-5-7 3:04:37 PM UTC
Can I get one of your cleaned up firsts, Stu?

BH
8 May, 2018
2018-5-8 12:02:21 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Can I get one of your cleaned up firsts, Stu?

BH

Actually, only one of them had laminate which I successfully removed, one appeared unread, and the other appeared lightly read. No stamps in any of them. The latter two both came from NZ within a month of each other, and both from the south of North Island, so I am suspicious that there was perhaps a school book sale. Could just be pure coincidence though. As they are all slightly different in terms of board dimensions and page block dimensions, I'm hanging onto them, but I'll keep an eye out for any more that come up for sale over here (I don't want any more 1st impressions, even if slightly "variant"). Just PM me with how much you are willing to pay for a decent copy, so I know whether to pull the trigger for you if a BIN comes up. I snapped up the best one (which cost me NZD 10) within about half hour of it being listed. I doubt it would have hung around. The other NZ one cost about NZD 30 and that was a regular auction. Neither auction stated the impression, mind. So in each case was a punt.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us