June Giveaway!
(1) 2

June Giveaway!

From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship

The TCG website giveaways were on furlough for a few months there for a couple of reasons - one, the Children of Hurin release party sponsorship where TCG gave away a couple of signed Hildebrant prints, and two, I wasn't around for a while there.

Hopefully I will be around much more often now, to keep the site up to date and moving forward in the guide database entries.

One thing I never mentioned before, I realized - Dior, who won the first giveaway, graciously donated his winnings into the next giveaway. So, the possible prizes for the month of June include all of the prior ones. I will add a few more I think as I have time this upcoming week.

A. 2005 16 month "The Tolkien Art of the Brothers Hildebrant" calendar, still brand new and sealed in shrinkwrap.

B. Orcrist #3 (Tolkien Journal Vol. 4. no. 1, whole number 11) - Cover art "The Hornberg in Helm's Deep" by Tim Kirk.

C. Four vintage 1960's buttons - "Frodo Lives" (green and red), "Tolkien is Hobbit Forming", "Come to Middle-earth". (Yes, they are a bit stained - they're old!)

Everyone who posts to the TCG website (discussion forums, guide entries, classifieds, events, news, comments, links) will be entered in the drawing. One entry per person per month. Since some of the methods allow anonymous postings, I will only include those in the drawing if I can identify who made the post. Malicious posts (I have a couple of comment spammers I am fighting off right now) don't count.

Expect a security measure on some postings soon.

Good to be back!

Re: June Giveaway!

From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Hey, it's July now, isn't it. I was out of the country most of May adopting, and then getting settled most of June (spent all of last week and more in the hospital for my new daughter's heart surgery, back home and doing well now) and everyone else seems to be on summer break...

It surely was a quiet June! How about this - any regular (someone who's posted before) who replies here in the next week or so that they are interested, I will send them a couple of the vintage buttons. They're fun!

By Deagol

From UK
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Am I too late...?

From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Nope! Anyone else?

From Tulsa Oklahoma USA
Group:
Shirefolk

I am much too late.. or not......

I am looking to find pins/buttons/badges whatever they are called, I have literally spent 6 hours online and I cant find any? Where do you find them? Ebay as no real vintage ones, is there a catalog or list somewhere to find what pin were actually created? The best guide I have to go on so far is this picture
Open in new window

PLEASE HELP ME!!

and this page

http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/w ... sson+Buttons&back=Buttons

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

-TOM

By Beren

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Well so far I have managed to collect some of the originals... the trick is to have some patience, because they only show up on ebay now and then. If you really wish to collect these then best is to talk a bit with some older collectors, since most have some in their collection.

It would be nice if someone wants to make an overview of these, because I think most of us have only seen half of much less of what is out there!

From Tulsa Oklahoma USA
Group:
Shirefolk

Unfortunately I don't know any vintage collectors (or any for that matter)

I would like to start compiling a list of buttons/pins/badges for my own personal use or for others. If anyone would PM or e-mail me at tom.bombadilo@gmail.com I would be very indebted.

Thank you for your reply!
(I am just extra excited, so it seems like it is taking ages to get a reply)

-TOM

From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Hi Tom (and Beren of course),

the difficulty (and fun part!) of collecting vintage pinbacks/buttons/badges is that the machines for making them were cheap, so no matter how many you think you have found, there are always more! (Similar to Parmastahir's calendar collecting quest - there are fan calendars with print runs in the single digits). I have a bunch that I have accumulated over the years, many need to be photographed and added to the Collector's Guide - if you have more buttons you have found (even just pictures online) send me what you can and I will add them to the Guide!

The ones I was offering here were made by an independent store in New York City back in the sixties. I got a bunch of them from the person who inherited a huge box full of buttons that were found in an attic. The condition is not great at all (lots of rust stains) but they are still fun and a good start to a budding collection.

I will try to add a few more images to the Buttons page of the Guide today.

Deagol, I still owe you your buttons! Beren and Tom, do you want some too?

From Tulsa Oklahoma USA
Group:
Shirefolk

YES PLEASE!!

By Beren

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Of course we do! That would be very nice!

(1) 2
All original content © 2018 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us