Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Jul, 2018
2018-7-21 7:18:06 PM UTC
Under no construction of "Fair Use" may one republish the entirety of a work that is still under copyright, even if the creator(s) and/or copyright holder(s) are credited. That is as true of an interview as it is of any other tangible work.
21 Jul, 2018
2018-7-21 9:13:12 PM UTC
Under no construction of "Fair Use" may one republish the entirety of a work that is still under copyright, even if the creator(s) and/or copyright holder(s) are credited. That is as true of an interview as it is of any other tangible work.

I don't think anyone has suggested that they can. You seem to be creating a straw-man to argue against, now. What has been suggested is that the organiser of the interview retains a right to use the interview, unless there is something else in place to restrict that. My argument from the start is that the entity conducting the interview retains rights, and it is not as simple as "the interviewee owns it". In your world, does the interviewee own the interviewers words, as well? (An interview is created by more than one party, otherwise it would be a monologue...).

You are going to have to cite some credible sources for your position on this, given that it disagrees with essentially every other article I can find on the matter (and a direct discussion with at one print journalist here in NZ). Just because you keep saying essentially the same thing, without any useful citations, doesn't make it true. At least put some effort into backing up your position, perhaps with some case law and specific examples (or links to secondary sources that quote the same).

I'm considering this a futile debate at this point.
21 Jul, 2018
2018-7-21 11:11:03 PM UTC

Druss wrote:
Hello there,
Do you know if it exists a transcript of this interview somewhere ?

In response to your question Druss, in the 'works consulted' section of Scull/Hammond's Reader's Guide, Part II it says that the information used was received from a "Private transcription from [a] tape recording in the Library of Congress."
22 Jul, 2018
2018-7-22 11:46:05 PM UTC
onthetrail wrote:
Interviews are shared so often that they are rarely even filed for copyright until some over-bullish party decides it should own that 60 year old interview they never knew existed until somebody published it. Their first contact if they do own an exclusive license should be to request you cease sharing said work. You should then remove it from your website/blog upon them demonstrating that they do control the text.

Long story short, this audio interview can be shared if it is a non-exclusive license.

Then Aelfwine responded:

Then Stu said:
I don't think anyone has suggested that they can.

I do feel that Aelfwine had a good point in response to onthetrail here, as I also read the first quote as condoning posting a copy of the entire interview on a forum somewhere as being acceptable.

I'll ask a favor from everyone at this point - if you have anything additional to add here either through direct experience or from research with citations, it will be welcome, but we seem to have gone into deeply theoretical and speculative territory and it may be better to let it rest otherwise.

From a site perspective - alternate views and argument is welcome in these discussions, and tastes definitely differ and hopefully will be recognized as such rather than seen as attacks of taste against one another. However, TolkienGuide the site recognizes the moral right of interviewer/interviewee to own the work (whichever or both) through the timeframe that copyright applies, and doesn't condone copying and sharing without permission even if there is a technical interpretation that this could be acceptable in a court of law.

And bonus points if you find the Tolkien related book title hiding up there - on purpose - to try and keep this post on topic for the site.
23 Jul, 2018
2018-7-23 12:47:58 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
onthetrail wrote:
Interviews are shared so often that they are rarely even filed for copyright until some over-bullish party decides it should own that 60 year old interview they never knew existed until somebody published it. Their first contact if they do own an exclusive license should be to request you cease sharing said work. You should then remove it from your website/blog upon them demonstrating that they do control the text.

Long story short, this audio interview can be shared if it is a non-exclusive license.

Then Aelfwine responded:

Then Stu said:
I don't think anyone has suggested that they can.

I do feel that Aelfwine had a good point in response to onthetrail here, as I also read the first quote as condoning posting a copy of the entire interview on a forum somewhere as being acceptable.

I'll ask a favor from everyone at this point - if you have anything additional to add here either through direct experience or from research with citations, it will be welcome, but we seem to have gone into deeply theoretical and speculative territory and it may be better to let it rest otherwise.

From a site perspective - alternate views and argument is welcome in these discussions, and tastes definitely differ and hopefully will be recognized as such rather than seen as attacks of taste against one another. However, TolkienGuide the site recognizes the moral right of interviewer/interviewee to own the work (whichever or both) through the timeframe that copyright applies, and doesn't condone copying and sharing without permission even if there is a technical interpretation that this could be acceptable in a court of law.

And bonus points if you find the Tolkien related book title hiding up there - on purpose - to try and keep this post on topic for the site.

To be honest, I missed the bit that onthetrail wrote, and thought that Aelfwine was replying directly to me. Using the quote function when replying certainly makes it clear who is replying to who, especially when the thread is paginated.
23 Jul, 2018
2018-7-23 4:32:21 PM UTC
The Oral History Society (UK based) has guidance up on their site in regard to copyright that may be relevant to this discussion (people being interviewed); the document has no references. There is very little mention made of the interviewee in respect to them holding copyright rights...

http://www.ohs.org.uk/ethics/copyright.html
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us