Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

12 Mar, 2019
2019-3-12 7:13:33 PM UTC
Sticking with my earlier comment, I don't think that Doug was able to find enough new material to justify a third edition printing.
13 Mar, 2019
2019-3-13 11:17:20 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:
Sticking with my earlier comment, I don't think that Doug was able to find enough new material to justify a third edition printing.

Surely Doug investigated first whether he could justify an updated version?
13 Mar, 2019
2019-3-13 2:44:42 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:
Surely Doug investigated first whether he could justify an updated version?

The only person who could answer that question is Doug, and as far as I am aware, he does not frequent this site, so we will probably never know.
13 Mar, 2019 (edited)
2019-3-13 7:13:53 PM UTC
If there wasn't the material to justify a new edition, this feels like a win (not just putting out something with minimal changes for the sake of it). I wish some other authors would take note (David Day, I'm looking at you)....
13 Mar, 2019
2019-3-13 9:23:44 PM UTC
"Surely Doug investigated first whether he could justify an updated version?" — I second this. If Doug proposed a third edition, and the proposal was accepted by the publisher, it was only because both felt there was sufficient new material and/or insights to justify it. Either Doug has had to deal with other more pressing matters, or the work is taking longer than initially anticipated. Both happen.
13 Mar, 2019
2019-3-13 10:16:20 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:
"Surely Doug investigated first whether he could justify an updated version?" — I second this. If Doug proposed a third edition, and the proposal was accepted by the publisher, it was only because both felt there was sufficient new material and/or insights to justify it. Either Doug has had to deal with other more pressing matters, or the work is taking longer than initially anticipated. Both happen.

I fully agree with the above.
14 Mar, 2019
2019-3-14 3:38:40 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Aelfwine wrote:

I fully agree with the above.

Seems like wait and see is the best approach. Something will either happen at some point or it won't.
14 Mar, 2019
2019-3-14 4:08:46 AM UTC
I have it from a trusted source that the book is still forthcoming, and to be patient.

With the "2nd edition" description being used on Amazon's listing, and the date moving around, I expect they are just picking up placeholder information from the publisher. I would expect a more official announcement when the book gets closer to actual release date (whatever that is, I don't know it).
22 Mar, 2019
2019-3-22 4:09:00 PM UTC
I've been awaiting this release for months. I haven't yet read the Annotated Hobbit and think that this new edition is a great chance to get a copy. I'm thankful I found this thread; good to hear everyone's insight! I'll continue to wait patiently :)
28 Mar, 2019
2019-3-28 6:05:41 AM UTC
Been looking forward to this for months; would be very satisfied just hearing an actual projected release date that isn't off in 2050 or some such like Amazon says. Hopefully we'll have a better idea of the actual release date soon. I wonder how long it will likely take?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us