Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

18 Aug, 2018
2018-8-18 1:26:01 AM UTC
Oh goodness Chris!!! I feel for you :(

What an unfortunate thing to happen. As others have said, it’s probably best to hold off on accepting the return.

What a b****** of a person! Seriously, this makes me so angry. How can anyone do such a thing? They seem to be enjoying milking this for what it’s wirth, down to trying to screw you over with the return too.

I really hope this thing somehow resolves. The loss of these books must be hard enough to bear. I hope more of your money won’t be lost.
18 Aug, 2018
2018-8-18 9:12:33 AM UTC
So Tapuvae, do you currently still have all the money the guy paid for the items? If so, I'd just sit tight & do nothing. I'd pointedly remind eBay that while the seller may have filed the complaint under "items didn't match description"; he is specifically citing that two of the books are missing, which is slightly different.

Unfortunately eBay/GSP's cover here is that they don't know what two or four books weigh. (You could present reasonable evidence to prove this I suppose.) They may claim that you simply shipped two books to Kentucky; they shipped them for international delivery (not checking actual content*); and that this is why the weights match. Is there any package dimension data? Also, I'd slow the whole process down by asking to see GSP's international customs declaration, which they would have filled out before shipping. It may have further detail that backs up your side of the argument. (*) However, whether GSP like it or not, they are legally responsible for that declaration; therefore the onus is entirely on them as to why their declaration said "four books" and only contained two; if they gave that kind of detail, which they may not have. I'd explore that route, as that's firmly at GSP's door.

Thinking about this though: can someone not always claim you only sent one instead of two of something? How can this be counter argued? Postage data alone doesn't really prove content. You can't record the omission of an item in they way you can provide proof of, say, the item being damaged. Which, again, can also quite easily be scammed. Now that I think about it: you could easily scam at every single stage of this process & sellers/eBay don't really have any way of proving things either way.
18 Aug, 2018
2018-8-18 2:17:06 PM UTC
I do not have the money. Paypal immediately took it from my account because I had a balance from another sale that had just happened. Regardless even if I didn't have a balance they would eventually put the 900 to collections, which just exacerbates this entire thing.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I will deal with the return shipping because no reasonable person would send more money to this buyer. I tried calling GSP yesterday but was on hold long enough that I had to eventually leave.

Khamul is correct, the issue is selling a lot of anything because they can always claim the number is wrong. Then again, they could claim an empty box arrived if it was for a single item.
18 Aug, 2018
2018-8-18 6:00:12 PM UTC
Did PayPal go through the resolution process with you? Or just decide that they were refunding the thief? (I am not calling them the buyer)
12 Oct, 2018
2018-10-12 8:09:59 PM UTC
I thought I would update. I was just sent an email from another person who was scammed by this guy. In that case they did go through with the return shipping and sure enough he sent some ragged cheap copy back. So this guy hay-2035 is a scammer. He also deleted that account and now has a new one (apparently samwolf2035).

My story, well I have no idea what happened. When I failed to send him another 100 dollars for return shipping by eBay's deadline they sided with him. I then saw eBay released my 900 dollars to paypal. I immediately withdrew it, but figured they would later add it back, either as a negative balance to paypal or on my eBay account. .

Two months later and nothing has appeared. I have no idea what happened. The only thing I can think of is that the GSP insurance did actually kick in. I got no notice of this, of course. eBay kept telling me not to worry because I was covered. So maybe GSP did cover it. Who knows. I hope they don't send it to collections. I continue to show a 0 balance at Paypal and pay my eBay fees every month. So very odd.

The latest stolen book was one of 1987 Super Deluxe Hobbits.
12 Oct, 2018
2018-10-12 8:50:23 PM UTC

Tapuvae (Chris) wrote:
I thought I would update. I was just sent an email from another person who was scammed by this guy. In that case they did go through with the return shipping and sure enough he sent some ragged cheap copy back. So this guy hay-2035 is a scammer. He also deleted that account and now has a new one (apparently samwolf2035).

My story, well I have no idea what happened. When I failed to send him another 100 dollars for return shipping by eBay's deadline they sided with him. I then saw eBay released my 900 dollars to paypal. I immediately withdrew it, but figured they would later add it back, either as a negative balance to paypal or on my eBay account. .

Two months later and nothing has appeared. I have no idea what happened. The only thing I can think of is that the GSP insurance did actually kick in. I got no notice of this, of course. eBay kept telling me not to worry because I was covered. So maybe GSP did cover it. Who knows. I hope they don't send it to collections. I continue to show a 0 balance at Paypal and pay my eBay fees every month. So very odd.

The latest stolen book was one of 1987 Super Deluxe Hobbits.

He just needs to scam someone in Australia that ends up with his address and other contact details, then they can turn up and hurt him. Shit like this catches up with people in the end if they keep on doing it. Thanks for the warning about his new id, samwolf2035

Glad that you appear to have gotten your money back.
12 Oct, 2018
2018-10-12 11:09:21 PM UTC
Thanks. I suspect this is firmly a GSP scam.

For the record, 1987 Hobbit Super Deluxe # 459 is stolen goods if anyone comes across it being sold anywhere. Maybe not technically but you get the idea.
12 Oct, 2018 (edited)
2018-10-12 11:13:03 PM UTC
Thank you for sharing the info Tapuvae and great news about getting your money back as was right. Samwolf2035 was actually already on my radar as a scammer although for some reason I can't find any record as to why. I've made a note and will keep an eye out for your #459.

Edit: Found the reason (name was tied to hay2035 when I dealt with him last). This guy's name is Hao Ye.
13 Oct, 2018
2018-10-13 12:27:01 AM UTC
That is his name, lives in Sydney (Rhodes), Australia. The person who emailed today said hay-2035 is a dead account and he is now using this other one.
13 Oct, 2018
2018-10-13 2:02:45 AM UTC
I'm glad that eBay returned your money. Sorry to hear that he is just moving on to another eBay account, and probably not going to get caught.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us