Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

22 Aug, 2019
2019-8-22 6:24:31 PM UTC
One thing I suppose worth considering is how Amazon's LotRs "show" will affect HarperCollins/The Estate.

In the past all we've seen (in the Jackson film era) is Pb tie-ins & the odd (one or two?) Hb tie-in books in respect to the two media (films + books) interacting. But this is going to be, potentially, huge. With the amount of money being quoted, and with The Estate involved, will we see a different magnitutude of cross-over; with the Tolkien book market being heavily influenced by film promotion, merchandise, association, etc, at a level not seen before? Could we see, for example, a single-volume of Second Age (assuming speculation) texts being published (even if largely a repackaging exercise)?

Sounds unlikely, but you never know.
22 Aug, 2019
2019-8-22 7:39:05 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
One thing I suppose worth considering is how Amazon's LotRs "show" will affect HarperCollins/The Estate.

In the past all we've seen (in the Jackson film era) is Pb tie-ins & the odd (one or two?) Hb tie-in books in respect to the two media (films + books) interacting. But this is going to be, potentially, huge. With the amount of money being quoted, and with The Estate involved, will we see a different magnitutude of cross-over; with the Tolkien book market being heavily influenced by film promotion, merchandise, association, etc, at a level not seen before? Could we see, for example, a single-volume of Second Age (assuming speculation) texts being published (even if largely a repackaging exercise)?

Sounds unlikely, but you never know.

Not unlikely at all.
22 Aug, 2019
2019-8-22 8:27:44 PM UTC
Just in time for Christmas: Tales of the Second Age...
22 Aug, 2019
2019-8-22 9:57:41 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Just in time for Christmas: Tales of the Second Age...

With a super-weak and hastily written essay thrown in for good measure, so it isn't a total re-hash.
22 Aug, 2019
2019-8-22 10:03:03 PM UTC
I was genuinely thinking of an annotated Appendicies + abridged UT content.
22 Aug, 2019
2019-8-22 10:12:02 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
I was genuinely thinking of an annotated Appendicies + abridged UT content.

You're not the only one thinking along those lines, that I am aware of.
22 Aug, 2019
2019-8-22 10:29:03 PM UTC
And if this series (of series) is deemed successful in the eyes of The Estate then I think a stand-alone F.A. story is definitely happening i.e. B&L or maybe CoH. It's going to cost someone (& Amazon will be at the front of the queue) an awful lot of money. Who knows what they've already agreed though.
22 Aug, 2019
2019-8-22 11:02:48 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
And if this series (of series) is deemed successful in the eyes of The Estate then I think a stand-alone F.A. story is definitely happening i.e. B&L or maybe CoH. It's going to cost someone (& Amazon will be at the front of the queue) an awful lot of money. Who knows what they've already agreed though.

Yep, I for one don't know what the current agreement entails, but I would hazard a guess (I'm good at those) that the current agreement centers around the Second Age from all the clues we have, and that by the time Amazon works its way through all the seasons and spinoffs, the entire landscape (Estate, legal, global TV watching habits, major video providers) will be entirely different - that's almost a decade from now. I hope it is very successful and leads to more!

I enjoy seeing how Tolkien's major works are adapted to other media, but I don't like when a single viewpoint dominates - different directors, script writing teams, and studios will lead to a rich ecosystem where I can appreciate my favorite bits from each and ignore the bits I don't like.
23 Aug, 2019
2019-8-23 5:54:26 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Yep, I for one don't know what the current agreement entails, but I would hazard a guess (I'm good at those) that the current agreement centers around the Second Age from all the clues we have, and that by the time Amazon works its way through all the seasons and spinoffs, the entire landscape (Estate, legal, global TV watching habits, major video providers) will be entirely different - that's almost a decade from now. I hope it is very successful and leads to more!

I enjoy seeing how Tolkien's major works are adapted to other media, but I don't like when a single viewpoint dominates - different directors, script writing teams, and studios will lead to a rich ecosystem where I can appreciate my favorite bits from each and ignore the bits I don't like.

I really hope it doesn't become like Star Wars, with endless money-grabbing poorly written garbage and Tolkien crap in every shop. I don't *think* the estate will allow that whilst CT is alive, but I fear it will just become another "franchise" after that. Can't blame anyone for taking the money when it is on the table, though. Just not stuff I will personally be watching (that said, I have zero interest in the currently proposed Amazon stuff, either). Now a 1982-BBC-quality adaptation like LoTR - that I'd be interested in. Sadly something that will never happen, I don't think - Times change.
23 Aug, 2019
2019-8-23 12:46:55 PM UTC
Sadly I think the Amazon deal is going to end up like this if you watch the video replace J.K. Rowling characters with J.R.R. Tolkien characters to get a not very good vision of what will probably happen

Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us