Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

8 Nov, 2018
2018-11-8 7:06:14 PM UTC
Tricky one as many challenges still remain...

I think up until now getting all of HoME in UK 1st/1st status with priced jackets & in the condition I wanted; that took quite a long time. Although, looking at prices now, it looks like a set could be assembled, with a little patience, for a lot less money these days. Getting the exact copies you want is probably still a challenge though.
8 Nov, 2018 (edited)
2018-11-8 8:08:34 PM UTC
The most challenging item was the same item as answered in the "Current Favourite" question, the 1966 First Unwin Paperback Printing.

Besides the 1966 Unwin Paperback, notable mentions (in terms of time, energy, blood, sweat & tears expended) are:

1963 First Deluxe Edition of the Lord of the Rings

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/1st-deluxe-lr.php

While it was not particulary difficult to find a set, I had set the criteria to be a set without any significant flaws - a set with original slipcase (without tears), no inscriptions to books and the most difficult criteria was a set where "The Two Towers" had a unfaded spine. To top it off I had set a budget of £1000 for the set (not exactly high for set in this condition). Needless to say it took about 10 years, but I eventually found the set I wanted.

1985 Letters to Rhona Beare

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=889

and the 1999 "George Allen & Unwin: A Remembrancer" by Rayner Unwin

In terms of items that I have not yet managed to acquire (but spent the most time searching for) is a copy of the 1978 Hardback of "The Inklings" (without a faded spine), The Blackie Hobbit and the 1984 Manuscripts of JRRT

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=881

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=793

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=136
8 Nov, 2018
2018-11-8 9:07:01 PM UTC
Forgot about Remembrancer; boy was that hard to get hold of!
8 Nov, 2018
2018-11-8 9:33:43 PM UTC
Bought it when it came out. Easy peasy!
8 Nov, 2018
2018-11-8 9:53:41 PM UTC
Still looking for my copy.....
8 Nov, 2018
2018-11-8 11:21:38 PM UTC
Of some honorable mentions of mine for the last couple questions, one would be Remembrancer. Another would be a mock-up copy of the 1963 deluxe edition of Return of the King; this looked virtually the same as said edition but with red boards used instead of black (I believe this is a one-of-a-kind item). And also the first state of the first LotR boxed set, a picture of the copy I purchased can be seen here: www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=1170

I recently parted with all three of these together, passing them on to a friend and member here. I'm guessing I'm not the only one on this board to have had to choose between debt and books before (space is another story!). I hear sellers often say that they are glad when books 'go to a good home', but it really is true that it makes a difference. Especially with the RotK, I wouldn't have been able to just send it off into the ether, even if I could have made a profit. So thanks to that member for being there for me

Ironically, Remy, the day after you posted your 1966 Unwin Hobbit story I saw one pop up on AbeBooks. It sold before the seller returned my request for pictures later in the day. If I didn't already have a copy I would have been very depressed about that!
8 Nov, 2018 (edited)
2018-11-8 11:44:10 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:
Ironically, Remy, the day after you posted your 1966 Unwin Hobbit story I saw one pop up on AbeBooks. It sold before the seller returned my request for pictures later in the day. If I didn't already have a copy I would have been very depressed about that!

Hi Berelach.

I saw the copy on Abe. However i highly doubt it was the actual 16th 1966.

There were a few inconsistancies in the listing including an ISBN number.

I have found this edition to be often mis-described (for whatever reasons). I have purchased a number of advertised "16th" impressions which upon receiving turned out to be 17th, 18th, 19th printings. There was also a 16th impression 1973!

(Edit: I eventually learned to email sellers for photos of copyright page).
9 Nov, 2018
2018-11-9 4:54:05 PM UTC
mmmmm tricky one this
The blue Unfinished Tales springs to mind but then 2 turned up within a month!
I also struggled with a good Gawain /Green Knight inc jacket
but got to agree its Remembrancer. I waited for ages then missed 2 copies in 2 months - thought opportunity lost but they say things happen when least expect them. I was buying a small collection from someone and what was at the bottom of the box -wow I almost fainted. Not a great copy must admit but pleased none the less
9 Nov, 2018
2018-11-9 6:43:43 PM UTC
Found out last year, that Oxford Brookes University in Oxford, have two copies of the Remembrancer in their library.

Not sure why they have two copies, but if you are in the UK and would like to see and read this excellent book, they are probably a good starting point.
9 Nov, 2018
2018-11-9 9:21:36 PM UTC
I've been after a Remembrancer for years. One day...
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us