Tolkien Collector's Guide
1973 letter

1973 letter

Jan 13

Hi all, I thought I'd share this with you all.
My Uncle, Mom's Brother, wrote to Tolkien in the 70s presumably asking about Hobbits anyway this was the reply. I know JRRT never signed it and was likely done by a secretary but it's a nice piece of history and even nicer that he gave it to me and his 1st edition Copy of the Silmarillion where it is kept between the pages as it was in reference to that book.

4844_5c3bcc67b3c86.jpg 666X960 px
Jan 13
Thanks for sharing! Definitely a "secretary" signature there, but still a very nice piece of memorabilia.
Jan 13
Thanks, It must have drove him crazy all the fans contacting him. If I recall Humphrey Carpenter wrote about fans calling from Australia and ignoring the timezone so he'd be woken at stupid o'clock in the morning.
Jan 14
Nice item, especially as you have a family connection to it.
Jan 14
Wow that was ages ago, I forgot about that. I had an old account years ago, long since forgot the log in. A combination of the 2 user names is my name, its on facebook too.
Jan 14
that's odd - the old thread shows 'pp' in front of the signature, but those letters are missing from the letter in this thread.
Jan 14

garm wrote:
that's odd - the old thread shows 'pp' in front of the signature, but those letters are missing from the letter in this thread.

Odd indeed!
Jan 14
Mmmmm ??? So what happened there then
Jan 14

Paulies wrote:
Wow that was ages ago, I forgot about that. I had an old account years ago, long since forgot the log in. A combination of the 2 user names is my name, its on facebook too.

I've merged the old account into your current one together for you on this site.

I'm curious as well, did something happen to the PP on the letter, or was it removed digitally in the new image?
Jan 15
Urulöké: Many thanks for that. I had the account a while ago but forgot the details.
With the letter its nothing untoward as I said I know he never signed it, it was in a folder with a load of scans and I think it was when I was cleaning it up after scanning it a while ago. But anyway I've attached a new photo just taken :)

4844_5c3d22927b987.jpg 2160X3314 px
Load more
Jump to Last