Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

29 Mar, 2019
2019-3-29 10:13:55 AM UTC
This is very troubling.

Although there are some disagreements as to the authenticity of the stated signatures, would it be safe to assume that in the "general market," these will be deemed authentic since they have history of being sold on a major auction house that specializes in rare books (Bloomsbury)?
29 Mar, 2019
2019-3-29 10:17:19 AM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:
This is very troubling.

Although there are some disagreements as to the authenticity of the stated signatures, would it be safe to assume that in the "general market," these will be deemed authentic since they have history of being sold on a major auction house that specializes in rare books (Bloomsbury)?

Probably not. Fakes do get sold at major auction houses, albeit not as often as through dealers and online auctions. Just wait for something where there is general consensus, I'd say. That Beren says he was previously offered them with no backstory is pretty damning, I think -- would you want to own something you always felt in the back of your mind, was fake?
29 Mar, 2019
2019-3-29 10:48:14 AM UTC
Stu
You hit it on the head for me here.

Only buy something you are absolutely happy with, if not it will play on your mind forever.

I learnt from you guys - if in doubt put the wallet away. I openly admit to having been greedy and getting something cheap but then regretting it.

This said if you think these are good then go for it

Clear as mud
29 Mar, 2019
2019-3-29 6:52:58 PM UTC
Been busy with a few other irons in the fire, so I didn't have a chance to chime in until now.

As most everyone who has responded so far has already stated - provenance is very important. Seeing the signature in person is also incredibly important - pictures on the web can be deceiving (intentionally or not).

For these two signatures that started the thread - they could be legitimate. I share Stu's concern about why they would be offered for sale (cheaply!) then suddenly have a long story of provenance and a high price to boot. I don't know if Beren can share additional details, but I would love to know - were they offered to him before or after the auction? I would assume before.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us