Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
Blackwell's
ebay.com
ebay.co.uk

-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Sep 13, 2019
2019/9/13 21:05:10 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
That's too bad to hear. Not that I'm overly invested in the set, but always slightly sad when a book release gets delayed/cancelled.

On the other hand, it could be because they are thinking of putting out a paperback boxed set, sometime in 2020 - either same day as The Fall of Gondolin paperback, or shortly after.
Sep 14, 2019
2019/9/14 5:50:19 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Is anyone else a little tired of the word 'sumptuous'?
Sep 14, 2019
2019/9/14 8:22:22 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Berelach wrote:
Is anyone else a little tired of the word 'sumptuous'?

I am tired of all those words that don't actually represent a product anymore.

Deluxe especially, takes the prize as the most misused word in publishing.
Sep 14, 2019
2019/9/14 15:43:46 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Yeah! I've noticed it being a lot in a short span of time.

Sounds like every specialty Tolkien product since the illustrated 60th anniversary edition has used the word: sometimes for the 'typical' deluxe editions, but also for the Hobbit Facsimile edition (book only and gift set), and now again with Letters From Father Christmas deluxe, and Hobbit sketchbook.
Sep 14, 2019
2019/9/14 23:17:04 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Deluxe = more expensive without being made from significantly better materials.

It obviously works, because people who are less discerning than I am () think they are the bees knees. Those people probably think Easton Press books aren't gaudy though.

TL;DR - It means nothing at all.
Jump to Last