I already posted this on the internet via my blog, however for discussion purposes I'll post the text here:

~ ~ ~

So what do you think will be the next major Tolkien book? The Great Tales have now been completed, with the recent releases of Beren and Luthien and The Fall of Gondolin by way of their own dedicated books.

Future anniversary editions (70th / 75th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings, for instance) are expected as are new illustrated editions (while The Hobbit isn’t “new” Jemima Catlin’s illustrated edition is). There’s also collector’s editions, like the edition of Letters From Father Christmas to be released in a few months.

Those out of the way; what could possibly be ‘the’ Tolkien book for 2020?
There is always The Book of Ishness, and I doubt enough material exists (though I’d welcome its release) for The Tale of Earendil as its own dedicated book.

Then there’s the Amazon Middle-earth series: while no doubt tie-in books will come out (pertaining directly, and only to the series – like Weapons and Warfare for The Lord of the Rings film trilogy). I would not be surprised if there will be a collected edition (dedicated book) comprised of material from The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and possibly The History of Middle-earth dedicated solely to The Second Age as a “tie in, but not really….” type book.

Who knows what’s in the pipeline for the future? Many weren’t expecting, and thus, surprised – by publications of such works as The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun, The Fall of Arthur, Beren and Luthien and The Fall of Gondolin. There was always mention of the Three Great Tales, but the gap from The Children of Hurin being to published to when Beren and Luthien and The Fall of Gondolin were was large enough, many didn’t really consider it or think that they would come.

Then there's the 2021 Tolkien Calendar - I am curious to just find out who will be the artist, and what the theme will be. Usually, the calendar that comes out the year of a major book will be the art for next year. Example: The Children of Hurin came out in 2007. The 2008 calendar (which came out in 2007) reflects that release. I have a feeling that it will be John Howe's, possibly featuring art from his book, A Middle-earth Traveller.

So who knows what can – and could – come out next year, either completely new or re-packaged or re-edited? It’ll be interesting to see what the next “Tolkien publishing event” will be. Was The Fall of Gondolin truly the end?

Myself, I have a few more Tolkien (and Tolkien related) books to get:

- The Hobbit Sketchbook
- A Middle-earth Traveller
- Author of the Century
- A Secret Vice (in paperback, coming next year)

I also wouldn't object to getting Letters From Father Christmas on audio CD (narrated by Derek Jacobi) or Humphrey Carpenter's Inklings book.