Unfinished Tales
$92.06
TolkienGuide is a Blackwell's affiliate
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Oct 20, 2019
2019/10/20 14:12:10 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
It was €45 delivered from Amazon France and at the moment it is €30.87 on Amazon Germany so around €33 (£28) delivered to the UK. It is £32.64 currently on Amazon UK so Germany is by far the cheapest.
Oct 20, 2019
2019/10/20 14:25:49 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I bought it for €41.68 including delivery which is currently about £35.84 from Amazon Fr, I agree it is cheaper by a few pounds, but I was happy to be able to get the item and am happy with the price that I paid.
Oct 20, 2019
2019/10/20 14:37:01 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:
I bought it for €41.68 including delivery which is currently about £35.84 from Amazon Fr, I agree it is cheaper by a few pounds, but I was happy to be able to get the item and am happy with the price that I paid.

UK is not much cheaper, Germany is quite a saving if one is looking to save £10 (price of an average paperback after all). I am more than happy with the price I paid (£37), the book is worth it.
Nov 23, 2020
2020/11/23 13:35:39 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:

I am very impressed with the book, It is a taller book than Maker of Middle-earth, and print quality is equally as good as the Bodleian hardback.

It definitely contains some manuscripts that I have not seen before, I think most of the illustrations and drawings look to have been already published.


I was looking for someone who had both of them.

I want to buy one of these, and only one, because I suposse that most of the content is overlaped.

I only care the content itshelf, I dont care if a edition is bigger or has a better binding.

If you'd have to choose only one by its content, wich one would you choose?

Can you or another person help me, please?

Thanks in advance!
Nov 23, 2020
2020/11/23 13:42:40 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth is the only way to go if one wants to choose between them. The wealth of information is frankly astonishing. The BnF book is fantastic and I value having both but for the average reader I would always suggest the Bodleian publication.
Nov 23, 2020
2020/11/23 14:27:25 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Agree with onthetrail Maker is the "one". However had to have BnF and Treasures.
Nov 23, 2020
2020/11/23 14:35:11 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Eldacar wrote:

Trotter wrote:

I am very impressed with the book, It is a taller book than Maker of Middle-earth, and print quality is equally as good as the Bodleian hardback.

It definitely contains some manuscripts that I have not seen before, I think most of the illustrations and drawings look to have been already published.


I was looking for someone who had both of them.

I want to buy one of these, and only one, because I suposse that most of the content is overlaped.

I only care the content itshelf, I dont care if a edition is bigger or has a better binding.

If you'd have to choose only one by its content, wich one would you choose?

Can you or another person help me, please?

Thanks in advance!

Both are worth getting but if only one then Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth
Nov 23, 2020
2020/11/23 14:49:22 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Arbor wrote:

Agree with onthetrail Maker is the "one". However had to have BnF and Treasures.

Treasures has some great detail, especially the map closeups. I think it is a very worthy book and the reproductions are quality.
Nov 23, 2020 (edited)
2020/11/23 20:14:17 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Thank you very much to everyone!

It's decided then. I was decided for the Maker, but this month the BnF has been translated to my language (spanish) so it made me doubt.

If I could I would buy both, but this Christmas I can only have one of them (my wife doesn't let me to buy both xD) :(

So thanks again to everyone!
Jump to Last