Tolkien Collector's Guide
Sep 28, 2019
2019/9/28 21:16:18 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
@Urulólë Wow that's really curious, how come they have so much less pages? I recall most books being around 310 pages, no? I might actually order it just to see if it's what I'm looking for...
Sep 28, 2019
2019/9/28 22:34:27 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I totally get that Urulókë, but it is possible to even self-publish (in very small batches) & not only have proper gatherings but have them machine-stitched. I'm sure it's not cheap but it's not non-existent. There are plenty of small presses putting out books in editions of 250-500 that are of very good quality. How much money they make is another matter...
Sep 29, 2019
2019/9/29 0:21:21 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Khamûl wrote:
I totally get that Urulókë, but it is possible to even self-publish (in very small batches) & not only have proper gatherings but have them machine-stitched. I'm sure it's not cheap but it's not non-existent. There are plenty of small presses putting out books in editions of 250-500 that are of very good quality. How much money they make is another matter...

Oh, definitely. I am collecting some really nice books from Subterranean Press that are quite well made, and $85 per volume. They are not Print-on-Demand, either.

I think there is a trend towards PoD publishing where up-front capital is hard, or the sell-through rates are slow enough that long term storage would eat all the profits. I am sure stitched bindings are available from some PoD vendors out there, but it is probably quite expensive.
Sep 29, 2019
2019/9/29 13:36:45 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Just out of interest, what you buying/collecting from SP?
Sep 29, 2019
2019/9/29 14:32:24 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I liked some of the Brian Lumley editions from SB.
Sep 29, 2019
2019/9/29 16:50:05 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Khamûl wrote:
Just out of interest, what you buying/collecting from SP?

I’ve been accumulating a matching number set for The Expanse, and a few one-off singletons from other authors.
Sep 29, 2019
2019/9/29 17:11:31 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
This one seems pretty decent, if you want something a tad more luxurious than a standard hardback: https://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Collectors-J-R-Tolkien/dp/B00DZWPRLC
Sep 29, 2019
2019/9/29 18:09:22 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

TolkienNewbie wrote:
@Urulólë Wow that's really curious, how come they have so much less pages? I recall most books being around 310 pages, no? I might actually order it just to see if it's what I'm looking for...

Just different typesettings... print size reduced/enlarged, different size, etc.

TolkienBooks.US (for the most part) doesn't indicate how many/which illustrations were included (yet)... but if you follow the typesetting info it should lead you to a page from TolkienBooks.net which does give illustration info. If no typesetting info is given, the typesetting will be the same as the previous similar edition. Also.. the site is really meant to be used *with* the Hammond Bibliography/Tolkien Collector, for quick reference... not necessarily the easiest/cheapest stuff to get, but worth it if you want specifics.
Sep 29, 2019
2019/9/29 18:47:05 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Berelach Thank you!
Sep 29, 2019
2019/9/29 18:48:01 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
insurrbution Aye I did come across that one and I was considering it however I disliked the fact it has turned all the black and white images, including the maps green.
Jump to Last