Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Oct, 2020
2020-10-2 3:16:10 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing this. I would’ve loved to have larger versions of some of the letters, so this is an edition I will be considering even if it breaks my rule of not having duplicates. The other edition I’m considering is the one with the actual replicated envelopes and letters. ?
24 Oct, 2020
2020-10-24 10:51:51 AM UTC
The Centenary edition has shipped early and will arrive on Monday.

I will update with some early thoughts when it arrives.
24 Oct, 2020
2020-10-24 6:50:12 PM UTC
Oooh can’t wait; thanks! ?
24 Oct, 2020
2020-10-24 8:15:48 PM UTC
I have a question relating to the Father Xmas deluxe that came out last year.

This is the only deluxe edition from the "series" the started with the maroon and green LOTR and Hobbit that I have yet to acquire

If I were to say buy a copy from Blackwells or Amazon...what are my chances that it's a 1st printing left over from last year? Or have they moved to 2nd printings at this point?
24 Oct, 2020
2020-10-24 8:27:44 PM UTC
I'm GUESSING it would be a 2nd printing, though I've no concrete evidence of that. It's possible you may get a first, though it'll likely be a 2nd or even 3rd by this point.

A friend of mine got The Lord of the Rings (2014 illustrated edition) for the 60th anniversary of The Return of the King, and it's a second printing - I believe by "___ Donnelly___??" (anyone here that has that edition, which printing is yours, and what's the printing info?? Curious, though it's a bit off-topic in relation to the post)
24 Oct, 2020 (edited)
2020-10-24 8:39:33 PM UTC
A friend ordered a copy from Amazon UK 3 weeks ago. It was a 1st so maybe they have some still.

EDIT: I should add that a few years ago I ordered two copies of a book and received a 1st and 2nd so please don't accept my information as gospel.

EDIT: I love the edit function
24 Oct, 2020
2020-10-24 8:49:59 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

I'm GUESSING it would be a 2nd printing, though I've no concrete evidence of that. It's possible you may get a first, though it'll likely be a 2nd or even 3rd by this point.

A friend of mine got The Lord of the Rings (2014 illustrated edition) for the 60th anniversary of The Return of the King, and it's a second printing - I believe by "___ Donnelly___??" (anyone here that has that edition, which printing is yours, and what's the printing info?? Curious, though it's a bit off-topic in relation to the post)

Probably not that useful to post a pure guess. I'm sure Mr. Underhill can guess just as well!
24 Oct, 2020 (edited)
2020-10-24 9:39:13 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

A friend ordered a copy from Amazon UK 3 weeks ago. It was a 1st so maybe they have some still.

EDIT: I should add that a few years ago I ordered two copies of a book and received a 1st and 2nd so please don't accept my information as gospel.

Thanks for the info, I think I may order me copy over the holiday season and see what shows up in my mailbox...
24 Oct, 2020
2020-10-24 9:41:44 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

Probably not that useful to post a pure guess. I'm sure Mr. Underhill can guess just as well!

I can, in fact guess just as well with no inside information. My deluxe set is a combination of 1sts and later printings anyway so it wouldn't be the worst thing to get a 2nd...but obviously I'd rather have a first.
25 Oct, 2020
2020-10-25 6:21:24 AM UTC
What you could also do is look for an as-new copy on the secondary market and request the seller to send you a pic of the copyright page. Since the book is just over a year old, it may be easy enough to find an opened copy which isn’t too badly damaged.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us