Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Oct, 2020
2020-10-25 1:20:35 PM UTC

eorl wrote:

What you could also do is look for an as-new copy on the secondary market and request the seller to send you a pic of the copyright page. Since the book is just over a year old, it may be easy enough to find an opened copy which isn’t too badly damaged.

That's a good idea @Eorl...Thanks!
25 Oct, 2020
2020-10-25 4:35:25 PM UTC

eorl wrote:

What you could also do is look for an as-new copy on the secondary market and request the seller to send you a pic of the copyright page. Since the book is just over a year old, it may be easy enough to find an opened copy which isn’t too badly damaged.

Words to live by.
25 Oct, 2020
2020-10-25 6:41:18 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

I have a question relating to the Father Xmas deluxe that came out last year.

This is the only deluxe edition from the "series" the started with the maroon and green LOTR and Hobbit that I have yet to acquire

If I were to say buy a copy from Blackwells or Amazon...what are my chances that it's a 1st printing left over from last year? Or have they moved to 2nd printings at this point?

I imagine everyone who wanted this has acquired a copy by now, but I thought I would let everyone know that Harper Collins has now ordered a second print run to be published, probably in time for Christmas. So, if anyone really wants a first print, this is the time to buy, since the first prints are still on store shelves.
26 Oct, 2020
2020-10-26 2:14:11 AM UTC
I've got an image/post search request:

I asked this on facebook, so please ignore if you've already seen this post (edited for sake of posting on the Guide). I'm not sure which members visit this site or facebook more frequently.

I'm looking for a chart detailing what letters appear in which editions of Letters From Father Christmas, for reference purposes. I should have saved it when I first saw it! It would be greatly appreciated if it gets posted following this post. It's very handy for both reference and collecting purposes.

I BELIEVE on facebook, it was a link to a graphic of a spreadsheet, not the spreadsheet itself posted directly onto facebook.
26 Oct, 2020 (edited)
2020-10-26 2:17:34 AM UTC
*UPDATE*

Found it, it was posted on the Tolkien Society's facebook page, as a link to.....here!

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=Letters%20From%20Father%20Christmas
26 Oct, 2020
2020-10-26 7:44:18 AM UTC
Urulókë Can you add another column to the page for the book out this week?
26 Oct, 2020
2020-10-26 4:22:13 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Urulókë Can you add another column to the page for the book out this week?

Done, but I need to improve layout for phones (it is too wide for the screen often). Feel free to add data if you get your copy before I do.
28 Dec, 2020
2020-12-28 9:09:44 PM UTC
In the centenary edition (2020), the two 1924 letters, but not the PSes, have switched places, so that what appeared as a PS to Michael now appears as a PS to John and vice versa.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us