Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

19 Nov, 2019
2019-11-19 7:13:58 PM UTC
Awesomebooks as Stu points to, charge at time of purchase. I have never had such bad service from them that I received on this occasion, which of course typically was the one time I linked you all to here. So my apologies for the bum steer.

I received the book very late and refused delivery due to the packaging or lack of that had led to the book being visibly damaged without having to open the package. I am waiting on their processing of the return before they will refund.

This is the first poor service I received from them but it appears there was widespread problems from them.
19 Nov, 2019
2019-11-19 9:13:34 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:
Awesomebooks as Stu points to, charge at time of purchase. I have never had such bad service from them that I received on this occasion, which of course typically was the one time I linked you all to here. So my apologies for the bum steer.

I received the book very late and refused delivery due to the packaging or lack of that had led to the book being visibly damaged without having to open the package. I am waiting on their processing of the return before they will refund.

This is the first poor service I received from them but it appears there was widespread problems from them.

FWIW, Book Depository still seem to have it. Obviously their price changes depending on where you are located, but they are currently about £44 shipped to NZ, so I imagine other locations will be similarly priced.
19 Nov, 2019
2019-11-19 10:26:17 PM UTC

Stu wrote:
FWIW, Book Depository still seem to have it. Obviously their price changes depending on where you are located, but they are currently about £44 shipped to NZ, so I imagine other locations will be similarly priced.

Thanks Stu, I should have said I ordered another copy from a Marketplace seller on Amazon UK paying £43 delivered so I was pleased.
20 Nov, 2019
2019-11-20 12:04:02 AM UTC
If you're familiar with World of Books, AwesomeBooks is basically the exact same type of 'company'. They pack everything in unpadded plastic sleeves, regardless of cost or whether it is new or used. They will give you a refund if you have any legitimate issue with the condition received (refusing delivery was a good call) but sometimes you have to be persistent. I'd only recommend them for reading copies.
20 Nov, 2019
2019-11-20 7:22:30 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Buying from Belgium, Book Depository lists it at about £60... I've now bought a copy on eBay for £47 shipped, which is the cheapest I seemed to find.
20 Nov, 2019
2019-11-20 9:09:26 AM UTC

Éarendel wrote:

Stu wrote:

Buying from Belgium, Book Depository lists it at about £60... I've now bought a copy on eBay for £47 shipped, which is the cheapest I seemed to find.

Probably the difference in BD price is down to VAT. They don't need to charge it outside of Europe. And until the end of this month they don't have to levy the 15% NZ GST (as of the end of this month our tax free allowance for imports is going away and foreign suppliers will have to levy it and pay the NZ government. This is a very bizarre state of affairs).
20 Nov, 2019
2019-11-20 2:49:52 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:
If you're familiar with World of Books, AwesomeBooks is basically the exact same type of 'company'. They pack everything in unpadded plastic sleeves, regardless of cost or whether it is new or used. They will give you a refund if you have any legitimate issue with the condition received (refusing delivery was a good call) but sometimes you have to be persistent. I'd only recommend them for reading copies.

Thanks to all who have replied about Awesomebooks, not a company that I have dealt with before, and based on your feedback will not use.
5 Dec, 2019 (edited)
2019-12-5 9:31:52 PM UTC
Out of interest, did anyone get a copy of this where the stamp on the slipcase is in the correct position? My copy has it about 2mm too low. Doesn't look terrible by any means, but it does mean the frank on the stamp doesn't like up with the frank on the slipcase itself.
5 Dec, 2019
2019-12-5 9:41:45 PM UTC
Mine is also off, but looking closely, the stamp is centered in the blind-stamp impression (rectangular indentation) and the frank/cancel ink on the slipcase itself is too high.
5 Dec, 2019
2019-12-5 10:22:27 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:
Mine is also off, but looking closely, the stamp is centered in the blind-stamp impression (rectangular indentation) and the frank/cancel ink on the slipcase itself is too high.

Mine is too low in the blind-stamp impression. If it was in the correct position it would line up with the frank. Seems like we have variation on both the slipcase printing (or blind-stamping) and the stamp positioning, then. Maybe HarperCollins should just keep it simple with stuff like this.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us