Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

31 Dec, 2019
2019-12-31 6:42:43 AM UTC
My copy is on order.
Incidentally the other French graphic novel, Tolkien: Eclairer les tenebres, is also hardcover, 8 7/8 x 11 13/16", 84 pages. It's a serious biography of Tolkien and his TCBS friends, at school and at war, quoting their letters (in French translation) as they discuss their poetry and ideals. It's reviewed in the Dec'19 issue of "Beyond Bree", and I can post the review here if anyone is interested. -Dis.
31 Dec, 2019
2019-12-31 9:49:45 AM UTC
Urulókë wrote: Got my copy today. I wasn’t expecting it to be oversized and hardcover for this price!

It's the standard format for the Franco-Belgian comics. It's rather rare to see softcover comics in France, except of course for the translated US comics.
31 Jan, 2020
2020-1-31 5:43:56 AM UTC
My copy arrived the day after yours.
While the French graphic novel "Tolkien, Eclairer les tenebres" focused on the members of the TCBS and their exchanges during the war, the emphasis of "J.R.R. Tolkien et la bataille de la Somme" is on the horrors of war. The artwork is much rougher, even brutal, as befits the subject. And the French vocabulary is somewhat more advanced.
By the way, publisher A Contressens won't ship to a PO Box.
31 Jan, 2020
2020-1-31 4:35:50 PM UTC

dis wrote:
While the French graphic novel "Tolkien, Eclairer les tenebres" focused on the members of the TCBS and their exchanges during the war, the emphasis of "J.R.R. Tolkien et la bataille de la Somme" is on the horrors of war. The artwork is much rougher, even brutal, as befits the subject. And the French vocabulary is somewhat more advanced.
By the way, publisher A Contressens won't ship to a PO Box.

Good to know, thanks for the update! I probably need to get "Tolkien, Eclairer les tenebres" then to have both.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us