Tolkien Collector's Guide
Apr 30
2020/4/30 18:46:43 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

insurrbution wrote:
Hey guys, check this out:

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/The-Fall-of-Gondolin-by-J-R-R-Tolkien-Christopher-Tolkien-editor-Timothy-West-narrator-Samuel-West-narrator/9780008393335

Clearly they got the price wrong here or maybe this is a special edition and is read to us in our living rooms in person :)
Apr 30
2020/4/30 23:04:07 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:

insurrbution wrote:
Hey guys, check this out:

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/The-Fall-of-Gondolin-by-J-R-R-Tolkien-Christopher-Tolkien-editor-Timothy-West-narrator-Samuel-West-narrator/9780008393335

Clearly they got the price wrong here or maybe this is a special edition and is read to us in our living rooms in person :)

That price is for the physical version on CD, not the downloadable file.
May 1
2020/5/1 11:26:18 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Oh sure I get that, but it is an 8 hour 18 minute reading. A newly released Stephen King novel over 15 discs for instance will be much cheaper. For probably 6 to 8 discs this is a little overpriced. I hope it will have some premium packaging at that price.
May 2
2020/5/2 15:29:35 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I also noticed that it's not by HarperCollins (I didn't see any audio CDs listed that were), so it could be a company going "ooh, Tolkien! Money!"

We'll see what happens though.
May 2
2020/5/2 22:02:35 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

insurrbution wrote:
I also noticed that it's not by HarperCollins (I didn't see any audio CDs listed that were), so it could be a company going "ooh, Tolkien! Money!"

We'll see what happens though.

Seems more likely it is just a normal HarperCollins release on Audio CD. Seems to be similar-ish price-wise to prior multi-CD releases (i.e. kind of expensive).
May 2
2020/5/2 22:04:58 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seems like one can get the audible version for free, just by signing up, downloading and then cancelling the trial before 30 days...
Jump to Last