Amazon.co.uk
Blackwell's
ebay.com
ebay.co.uk

-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Uncut page edges

Feb 9
2020/2/9 1:14:11 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Looking for people's opinions here.

I just received a "new" (uncut and unread) Tolkien related book. The top edges of most gatherings are still attached, as well as many of the fore-edges. The condition of the book is of course outstanding, as no-one has ever read it obviously.

Should I cut the edges to make the book usable? Keep it in pristine uncut condition?

I am intentionally not mentioning what book it is (it is a scholarly work, not a fictional one, and scarce) to keep the conversation just on page edges and not on particular titles and values.

1_5e3f5cc82fdfe.jpg 2394X3300 px
Load previous replies
Feb 9
2020/2/9 14:46:04 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I think we all have had a go at what book this is, from the limited info supplied, and I am sure a lot of people have got it right

I'm going to suggest the copy that I think it is, but please keep on topic with Urulókë's original post, if I am wrong let us know.

I am intentionally not mentioning what book it is (it is a scholarly work, not a fictional one, and scarce) to keep the conversation just on page edges and not on particular titles and values.

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=63
Feb 9
2020/2/9 15:57:52 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
What Éarendel said. (Also, Trotter, I don't think that's it.)
Feb 9
2020/2/9 16:24:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Should have known you all would try to guess anyways. 😉

Trotter is not right.

The page number was not intentionally chosen, it is not related to the Tolkien content.

The article is available as an offprint as well.
Feb 9
2020/2/9 17:15:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Last printed letter should be an “E”
Right?
Feb 9
2020/2/9 17:39:38 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
It actually ends with a pun.

😉
Feb 9 (edited)
2020/2/9 19:27:29 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I'd been running on the understanding that this was a more moderne text than Trotter was speculating. Mostly because quite a few of them around and many are uncut.
Feb 9
2020/2/9 19:32:00 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Something went over my head a few posts back...
Feb 9
2020/2/9 21:25:44 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Stu has it.

It also seems quite possible to me that carefully cut copies of this may be rarer than the uncut ones.
Feb 10
2020/2/10 3:21:22 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Well, upon further thought it makes sense to discuss which book title it is, as Stu and Aelfwine point out - the state of the pages (cut or uncut) of most extant copies likely comes into play.

To clarify my earlier comment - here is the end of the article (trimmed ever so slightly so the title of the piece is not immediately obvious), in case anyone is still enjoying the game and wants another hint for guessing.

1_5e40cc011c161.png 516X111 px
Feb 10
2020/2/10 5:39:48 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Aelfwine wrote:
Stu has it.

It also seems quite possible to me that carefully cut copies of this may be rarer than the uncut ones.

I agree with your assessment, based on what I have observed over the years - so Urulókë can increase the rarity of his book simply by cutting it -- and he gets to read it, to boot!
Load more
Jump to Last