Tolkien Collector's Guide

Uncut page edges

Feb 9
2020/2/9 1:14:11 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Looking for people's opinions here.

I just received a "new" (uncut and unread) Tolkien related book. The top edges of most gatherings are still attached, as well as many of the fore-edges. The condition of the book is of course outstanding, as no-one has ever read it obviously.

Should I cut the edges to make the book usable? Keep it in pristine uncut condition?

I am intentionally not mentioning what book it is (it is a scholarly work, not a fictional one, and scarce) to keep the conversation just on page edges and not on particular titles and values.

1_5e3f5cc82fdfe.jpg 2394X3300 px
Feb 9
2020/2/9 2:19:22 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Depends whether you want to read it or if it is a shelf ornament. Also depends on value. If it was a $200 item, i'd be more inclined to cut it than a $1,000 item. That said, I don't buy $1,000 items, ipso facto it would be a $200 item and I'd probably cut it!
Feb 9
2020/2/9 5:50:38 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I have one very old book with Tolkien's contributions in it and the pages were uncut, and I have left them uncut. I have a probably an illegal pdf of the text, which I can read legally if on holiday in the USA.
Feb 9
2020/2/9 5:57:50 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I'd leave them uncut.
Feb 9
2020/2/9 8:50:11 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I think I know the book 馃榿 my copy was uncut too, but I carefully cut the pages containing Tolkien鈥檚 contribution as I really wanted to read it. Have not felt any regrets since. I do think quite a few copies are still uncut.
Feb 9
2020/2/9 13:13:52 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
The page number is fairly treasonous, so I think I know the book as well
Mine is still uncut, I would rather leave it. Maybe you can get the Tolkien text from alternative sources?
Feb 9
2020/2/9 14:46:04 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I think we all have had a go at what book this is, from the limited info supplied, and I am sure a lot of people have got it right

I'm going to suggest the copy that I think it is, but please keep on topic with Urul贸k毛's original post, if I am wrong let us know.

I am intentionally not mentioning what book it is (it is a scholarly work, not a fictional one, and scarce) to keep the conversation just on page edges and not on particular titles and values.

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=63
Feb 9
2020/2/9 15:57:52 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
What 脡arendel said. (Also, Trotter, I don't think that's it.)
Feb 9
2020/2/9 16:24:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Should have known you all would try to guess anyways. 馃槈

Trotter is not right.

The page number was not intentionally chosen, it is not related to the Tolkien content.

The article is available as an offprint as well.
Feb 9
2020/2/9 17:15:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Last printed letter should be an 鈥淓鈥
Right?
Jump to Last