Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

4 May, 2020
2020-5-4 7:43:46 PM UTC
I've never used this site before but have just ordered from here at a good price £38.78

agreatread
4 May, 2020
2020-5-4 8:48:01 PM UTC
Thanks for that.

Never heard of that site either. Gave them a go and ordered (Voucher Code: 3POUNDSOFF) for £3 discount on first order. Good price on some other pre-orders also. Will see how this order works out first.
4 May, 2020
2020-5-4 8:49:56 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

insurrbution wrote:
Aside from a few illustrations and how the book is presented, nothing in this is "new" or exclusive.

I don't have my copy yet, but can you clarify why you think this?

Out of interest, why do you think it is *not* the case? So far as we are aware, there are the three (IIRC) small illustrations and the lecture reprinted from MC, so nothing really new to expect (though sounds like lecture might be slightly different as onthetrail states). I'm certainly not expecting anything new, but will be happy if there is.
4 May, 2020
2020-5-4 9:20:13 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Trotter wrote:

insurrbution wrote:
Aside from a few illustrations and how the book is presented, nothing in this is "new" or exclusive.

I don't have my copy yet, but can you clarify why you think this?

Out of interest, why do you think it is *not* the case? So far as we are aware, there are the three (IIRC) small illustrations and the lecture reprinted from MC, so nothing really new to expect (though sounds like lecture might be slightly different as onthetrail states). I'm certainly not expecting anything new, but will be happy if there is.

I checked back and indeed CT did make some alterations to the text as mentioned in the foreword to Monsters.

CT excluded the temptation scenes to save space, that is surely not an issue here, and I get why he replaced the original poem with the translations but here we could surely get what Tolkien original offered to the listener during the lecture. That is all I am expecting with this edition.
4 May, 2020
2020-5-4 9:53:46 PM UTC

Gawain wrote:
I've never used this site before but have just ordered from here at a good price £38.78

agreatread

Uhm it does not say it's unavailable, but I can't add it to a cart so... I guess they are all gone now.
4 May, 2020
2020-5-4 9:59:45 PM UTC

Max wrote:

Gawain wrote:

agreatread

Uhm it does not say it's unavailable, but I can't add it to a cart so... I guess they are all gone now.

Looks like it updated to 'out of stock'. Jealous of this price.. UK only. Nice find!
4 May, 2020
2020-5-4 10:19:42 PM UTC
I imagine there will be more prices in this range if recent history is anything to go on. FCL was discounted into this range by several suppliers and the RRP was the same as Sir Gawain.
4 May, 2020
2020-5-4 10:22:02 PM UTC
Well, the lecture had previously appeared in Monsters and the Critics so therefore it's not "new."
4 May, 2020
2020-5-4 10:31:25 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:
Well, the lecture had previously appeared in Monsters and the Critics so therefore it's not "new."

Don't get in the way of a publisher claiming new Tolkien material !!! You will be complaining about very slightly variant colour reproduction of plates not being "new" next
4 May, 2020
2020-5-4 10:40:53 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

It has never been suggested that the lecture itself is new. Just that parts of it are reproduced for the first time. As I state above, CT says he excluded and altered certain elements so it s not inconceivable that we could see a 'truer' version that reflects Tolkien's original delivery of it.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us