Tolkien Collector's Guide
1...45678...15
May 5, 2020
2020/5/5 20:00:34 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Of course, completely makes sense, and I wasn't being argumentative, just discussing :)

My ultimate point is, I wonder why they changed the material style from the mid to late '90s deluxe (limited?) editions, to the cardboard slipcase, first seen with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in '04.
May 5, 2020
2020/5/5 20:23:07 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
People seem to be conflating two entirely, to my mind, different features; namely the presentation (binding, gilt, etc) and the printed content. What I was really getting at is that the printed content is not likely to be unique to only one publishing format. People keep referenceing HarperCollins. When did GA&U release unique printed content (preface, extra textual content, etc) in only one publishing format? Not saying they didn't, but it's not really a common feature of Tolkien publishing. Presentation is another matter entirely; with this I entirely agree with most of the points people are making. There is no "deluxe" about the current deluxe releases...
May 5, 2020
2020/5/5 20:32:48 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Khamûl wrote:
People seem to be conflating two entirely, to my mind, different features; namely the presentation (binding, gilt, etc) and the printed content. What I was really getting at is that the printed content is not likely to be unique to only one publishing format. People keep referenceing HarperCollins. When did GA&U release unique printed content (preface, extra textual content, etc) in only one publishing format? Not saying they didn't, but it's not really a common feature of Tolkien publishing. Presentation is another matter entirely; with this I entirely agree with most of the points people are making. There is no "deluxe" about the current deluxe releases...

I see your point, I am only coming from a wish fulfillment direction. It would be rare, certainly with Tolkien. There are many examples of expanded editions from many authors but Tolkien is definitely not one of them.

And I think that is where the butting heads for want of a better description comes from here. We are talking about and referencing the 'deluxe' versions when we should actually be talking about expanded editions if we want more or new content.
May 5, 2020
2020/5/5 21:28:57 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Yeah, I don 't really have any expectation of additional content beyond the standard edition. My point is whether the only marginally better materials (plus slipcase) justify 3 - 4 times the price of the standard edition. The simple fact is that they are VERY expensive for what they are. And once the printing shifts to China that shifts from VERY to ABSURDLY (sorry if that upsets any CCP shills ).
May 5, 2020
2020/5/5 22:06:36 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
At this point (with so many deluxe books having been released) I can only assume that they have optimized very well the cost of producing them vs the profit they are able to make for the number of copies they sell.

I get the feeling that Tolkien book sales are somewhat inelastic (the book sells well even with large changes in price). 😉
May 5, 2020
2020/5/5 22:34:50 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Urulókë wrote:
At this point (with so many deluxe books having been released) I can only assume that they have optimized very well the cost of producing them vs the profit they are able to make for the number of copies they sell.

I get the feeling that Tolkien book sales are somewhat inelastic (the book sells well even with large changes in price). 😉

I also suspect a lot of the buyers buy them because they are expensive -- and they associate the high price with a perception of quality.
May 6, 2020
2020/5/6 5:34:03 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:
Yeah, I don 't really have any expectation of additional content beyond the standard edition. My point is whether the only marginally better materials (plus slipcase) justify 3 - 4 times the price of the standard edition. The simple fact is that they are VERY expensive for what they are. And once the printing shifts to China that shifts from VERY to ABSURDLY (sorry if that upsets any CCP shills ).

Sorry to post a reply un-related to this topic, but being the only 'visible' member from China in this forum, correct me if I'm wrong, it's quite clear that you're accusing me being a CCP shill. Please be aware that not all Chinese are enthusiastic supporters (or 'shills') of CCP. If I lived in pre-CCP regime China, I would still defend my country when I found unjust accusations were raised against her, that's all.

(And honestly, I'm a bit bored to see you drag politics into every discussion about deluxe editions.)
May 6, 2020 (edited)
2020/5/6 8:24:47 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Lawrence wrote:
(And honestly, I'm a bit bored to see you drag politics into every discussion about deluxe editions.)

It is absolutely your prerogative to be bored by it. Anyway, I'm not going to spend any time on a discussion with you about it and whether you are or are not an enthusiastic supporter of the CCP.
May 6, 2020
2020/5/6 13:54:11 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

I also suspect a lot of the buyers buy them because they are expensive -- and they associate the high price with a perception of quality.

THIS.

(also if one doesn't like HarperCollins titles being printed in China, then tough it up and order Houghton Mifflin's editions instead)
May 6, 2020
2020/5/6 14:13:06 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Gawain wrote:
I've never used this site before but have just ordered from here at a good price £38.78

agreatread

So far so good - my order shipped yesterday. Many thanks again.
1...45678...15
Jump to Last