Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Feb, 2020
2020-2-21 3:54:37 PM UTC
For this edition, it has new illustrations. I think with Father Christmas and this one they have been trying to give more value.

Also, with the forced discounts from Amazon the publisher is only being paid ~40% of retail at most, so they have to mark up RRP to cover costs.
21 Feb, 2020
2020-2-21 7:57:40 PM UTC
Yeah and I think The Hobbit from 2004 had a bit more in it compared to the 70th anniversary edition (standard hardback that matches the other hardbacks with Tolkien's artwork for the dustjackets).

I don't remember all the details, but I believe it had Christopher Tolkien's complete intro/preface, and something about the Mirkwood piece - I forget where it's placed in that edition.
24 Feb, 2020
2020-2-24 6:18:08 AM UTC
Bill Sanderson's images for Sir Gawain can be seen here. Much the same kind of thing as he did for S&G and FoA (I like his stuff):

https://www.billsandersonart.com/Gawain_and_the_Green_Knight.php
24 Feb, 2020
2020-2-24 6:35:03 AM UTC
They’re beautiful for sure, and I like how he’s maintained consistency across the three books.
24 Feb, 2020
2020-2-24 6:49:37 AM UTC

@Eorl wrote:
They’re beautiful for sure, and I like how he’s maintained consistency across the three books.

Yeah, I like them. I'll see if I can get a remarqued edition of this. I bought remarqued standard editions of S&G and FoA when they came out (neither were expensive).
24 Feb, 2020
2020-2-24 8:21:47 AM UTC
Oh nice. Always great to have additional sketches or illustrations especially when an artist’s work complements the author’s subject matter so well
28 Apr, 2020
2020-4-28 5:59:05 PM UTC

Stu wrote:
The slipcase looks like Easton Press, particularly in combination with that green. Is what it is, I guess - I'm not especially bothered at this point. I'm only buying this range due to sunk cost fallacy (and due to the fact that they can be purchased very discounted).

Hello,
I feel the need to bump this thread as well. When you say that these editions che be purchased very discounted are you talking of first editions or reprints? Which is the best site to get them discounted and which price reduction should be considered "good"?

Many thanks,
Max
28 Apr, 2020
2020-4-28 8:44:20 PM UTC

Max wrote:

Stu wrote:
The slipcase looks like Easton Press, particularly in combination with that green. Is what it is, I guess - I'm not especially bothered at this point. I'm only buying this range due to sunk cost fallacy (and due to the fact that they can be purchased very discounted).

Hello,
I feel the need to bump this thread as well. When you say that these editions che be purchased very discounted are you talking of first editions or reprints? Which is the best site to get them discounted and which price reduction should be considered "good"?

Many thanks,
Max

When they are first released, the first impressions are sold discounted from RRP by most of the big sellers. Usually about 40% off the RRP seems to be about the norm. With Amazon, the price usually drops further after the release date from their lowest price during their "price promise" period. i.e. don't pre-order.
28 Apr, 2020
2020-4-28 10:19:52 PM UTC

Stu wrote:
When they are first released, the first impressions are sold discounted from RRP by most of the big sellers. Usually about 40% off the RRP seems to be about the norm. With Amazon, the price usually drops further after the release date from their lowest price during their "price promise" period. i.e. don't pre-order.

Ok, I'll keep an eye on it in the next few weeks to see if the price drops by a good margin.

Thanks again!
Max
29 Apr, 2020
2020-4-29 1:54:59 PM UTC
There is that, though you might risk it being reprinted, and not get a first printing - if that's a factor.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us