Amazon.co.uk
Blackwell's
ebay.com
ebay.co.uk

-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Recent Acquisitions

Feb 28
2020/2/28 17:37:50 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

I thought it would be nice to have a running thread where people can post recent acquisitions they want to discuss, ask questions about, or just brag/share for fun.

(If you want to share something but want to keep it anonymous, just message me and I will post for you).
Load previous replies
Mar 7
2020/3/7 6:58:15 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Aelfwine wrote:
If anybody has a lead on who made that tray-case please let me know. I would love to get one for my copy of "A Northern Venture" (and maybe for some other items as well).

I'll ask the seller, maybe he knows more...
Mar 7
2020/3/7 7:06:42 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:
Lovely. I like the traycase as well - nicely done.

I feel like the people who put those tray-cases together should be doing the cases for new publications. I can only speak for myself but I rarely like slip-cases and generally like these after market trays.

I agree with you: these tray-cases provide much more protection against sunlight even for the spine -this little booklet has no spine, but so what
Mar 7
2020/3/7 9:22:28 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ithildin wrote:

Aelfwine wrote:
If anybody has a lead on who made that tray-case please let me know. I would love to get one for my copy of "A Northern Venture" (and maybe for some other items as well).

I'll ask the seller, maybe he knows more...

I've got the answer now, but unfortunately he bought it himself like that - sorry
Mar 7
2020/3/7 16:47:35 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ithildin wrote:

My favorite find, though, is this review of A Northern Venture in the July 12, 1923 issue (p. 474)

My favorite find is the booklet itself
I've just picked it up from my local post office...

What an amazing acquisition!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!
Mar 7
2020/3/7 16:50:01 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
By the way, that is the simplest and the most economical of a cloth backed solander casing design. Although it could get a little costly, you can always contact established binderies (the Chelsea, Temple, Bayntun Riviere, Sangorski) for truly work of art solander casings.
Mar 7
2020/3/7 19:50:40 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

The_Antiquarian wrote:
By the way, that is the simplest and the most economical of a cloth backed solander casing design. Although it could get a little costly, you can always contact established binderies (the Chelsea, Temple, Bayntun Riviere, Sangorski) for truly work of art solander casings.

I think the nice thing is exactly that it IS just a simple cloth-backed solander. I personally don't really like sophisticating something that is itself really simple with something particularly fancy, even if that fancy thing is - of itself - a pleasant thing to look at. That said, I don't like a lot of rebinds either - simple, not too many hubs, not too much gilt, not too many colours, etc. Of course, all these things are a matter of personal taste, and I come from a family of engineers, not a family of architects!
Mar 7
2020/3/7 20:50:10 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

The_Antiquarian wrote:

Have a look on the booklet itself: it’s just a small and unpretentious little book, printed on 10 stapled pages of rough paper. I think, it would be undue, putting it in such a luxury clamshell. I like to collect books, but for the price of these “little costly” slipcases I’d rather prefer to purchase my next book. (But this is certainly not in the near future, even when negotiating a good price, this was quite a challenge for my wallet ;))
Mar 7
2020/3/7 22:18:41 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ithildin wrote:

The_Antiquarian wrote:

Have a look on the booklet itself: it’s just a small and unpretentious little book, printed on 10 stapled pages of rough paper. I think, it would be undue, putting it in such a luxury clamshell. I like to collect books, but for the price of these “little costly” slipcases I’d rather prefer to purchase my next book. (But this is certainly not in the near future, even when negotiating a good price, this was quite a challenge for my wallet ;))

I think that case is perfect for such a simple booklet. Elegant, simple and importantly, is not flashy.
Mar 8
2020/3/8 9:59:03 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Aelfwine: please have a look on page 11 of "Northern Venture"
Are there the same special printing features in your edition?

4779_5e64c07d55478.jpg 3024X4032 px
Mar 8
2020/3/8 15:11:03 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Ithildin, no, my copy has none of those "features".
Jump to Last