THE HOBBIT OR THERE AND BACK AGAIN. ...
$501.42
TolkienGuide is an Abebooks.com affiliate
Tolkien Collector's Guide
1...2627282930...39
Mar 25
2021/3/25 16:14:18 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Received these today on Tolkien Reading Day, impressions 6th (probably), 4th, 3rd. Best day in a long time!
Fellowship seems to be a 5th impression but has a 6th dust jacket. Was there a printing error in the 6th?

5168_605cb5d32518e.jpeg 4032X3024 px
Mar 25
2021/3/25 16:24:30 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
The 6th Impression December 1956 is marked as a 5th Impression in error.
The real 5th impression was produced in February 1956, not december.

Btw some 4th impressions of the TTT might have a 3rd impression dust-jacket.

Anyway, congratulations, a very nice set in very good condition, of these early impressions !
Mar 25
2021/3/25 16:48:51 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
What a great #Tolkienreadingday arrival!
Mar 25
2021/3/25 16:51:36 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I just got hold of the Illustrated Silmarillion thanks to Blackwells and I thought it could be a good time to share some book and calendar related acquisitions.
Allen and Unwin Tolkien Calendars (1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979), if I am not mistaken these are the sole calendars that are composed ONLY by Tolkien’s own illustrations and that is why I was after those.
"“deluxe”" Silmarillion and Lord of the Rings
The companion and guide 3 volume set
A single volume Bombadil, before I was using that Perilous Realm paperback
Mr Bliss, I had only read it on screen
The Hobbit facsimile first to have the riddles in the dark before 1951 on paper
The Silmarillion 1977 BCA and 1977 Unwin Export second variant (no headbands, no cloth etc.) badly faded spines
The 1997 Hatchards Illustrated Hobbit
Now I would like to try building a 1st/1st History of Middle Earth set, I have read it on the three volume set but they do not look goot at all on the shelf. Is there something Other than the print runs information that I found on Tolkienbooks that I should know before "setting out" for the research? Maybe some opinions on price/condition, I would also like to know more about the Hatchards Hobbit, for how much did the last one you saw go for? I found no recent references.
I'm sorry for the awful background

5146_605cbe61ede9f.jpeg 1600X1200 px

5146_605cbe61ee18f.jpeg 1600X1200 px

5146_605cbe61ee417.jpeg 1200X1600 px

5146_605cbe61ee66c.jpeg 1200X1600 px

5146_605cbe61ee836.jpeg 1200X1600 px

5146_605cbe61eea49.jpeg 1200X1600 px

5146_605cbe61eec58.jpeg 1200X1600 px

5146_605cbe61eee42.jpeg 1200X1600 px

5146_605cbe61ef0dd.jpeg 1200X1600 px

5146_605cbe61ef379.jpeg 1600X1200 px

5146_605cbe61ef64e.jpeg 1600X1200 px
Mar 25
2021/3/25 16:52:20 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Roäc wrote:

Received these today on Tolkien Reading Day, impressions 6th (probably), 4th, 3rd. Best day in a long time!
Fellowship seems to be a 5th impression but has a 6th dust jacket. Was there a printing error in the 6th?

A lot of information on early UK Lord of the Rings at tolkienbooks.net http://tolkienbooks.net/php/lotr-print-runs.php
Mar 25
2021/3/25 17:00:11 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
emilien Thank you! Yes, it is a December 1956 so a 6th impression. And the dust jacket of my TTT is actually a third as you said.
Mar 25
2021/3/25 19:40:43 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
The last Hatchards I saw sell was two or three weeks ago, for £285. It was a decent copy with a few imperfections.. It was listed three times at least.

Seller: 160604
(1740)
Ended Feb 27, 2021
Buy-It-Now:
£285.00
Submitted by: Trotter
Mar 25
2021/3/25 19:43:09 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

The last Hatchards I saw sell was two or three weeks ago, for £285. It was a decent copy with a few imperfections.. It was listed three times at least.

Seller: 160604
(1740)
Ended Feb 27, 2021
Buy-It-Now:
£285.00
Submitted by: Trotter

This is the copy purchased by Fingon's hair
(#132 as seen among the pictures above)

Personnally, I bought mine (#22) £375 6 months ago, but it's in perfect condition.
Mar 25
2021/3/25 19:49:29 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Exactly emilien, yet I got a 1/3 refund because of some damage occurred to the packaging while it was on the way, yet the book is in great shape except for a small water stain on the case that has dried really well, can't see it anymore, so I hope I did not overpay for it in the end.
Still a perfect condition one is great to have, this one has some small bumps on the case, not easilly noticeable yet they are there
Mar 25
2021/3/25 19:55:18 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Fingon's hair wrote:

Exactly emilien, yet I got a 1/3 refund because of some damage occurred to the packaging while it was on the way, yet the book is in great shape except for a small water stain on the case that has dried really well, can't see it anymore, so I hope I did not overpay for it in the end.
Still a perfect condition one is great to have, this one has some small bumps on the case, not easilly noticeable yet they are there

Yes I think you've got a fairly good price for it.
The book overall is in good shape, but I remember it has some remains of a stamping on the bottom gilt edge, right?
1...2627282930...39
Jump to Last