Tolkien Collector's Guide
Aug 21 (edited)
2021/8/21 14:50:34 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Here's a set I recently finished putting together. That I quite like.

Smith, Tom Bombadil, and Farmer Giles. 1990. Some early instances of the oval Tolkien monogram here with the Roger Garland cover art. All 1st prints, although I don't think they ever got a re-print.

*Edit: 1991, and Tom Bombadil did get a 2nd print in 1995.

5058_612112afb736c.jpg 3918X2332 px
Aug 21
2021/8/21 15:01:00 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Those are very nice Mr. Underhill. I remember buying the Tom Bombadil one when it came out....I must have been all of 15 years old. I quite enjoy some of Garlands stuff.
Aug 21
2021/8/21 16:25:33 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Here's a set I recently finished putting together. That I quite like.

Smith, Tom Bombadil, and Farmer Giles. 1990. Some early instances of the oval Tolkien monogram here with the Roger Garland cover art. All 1st prints, although I don't think they ever got a re-print.

Presume these are the Unwin Hyman UK Editions? They were all reprinted in 1991.

Or are they the USA Editions? (Think it was only Bombadil that was reprinted in the USA Editions)
Aug 21
2021/8/21 17:03:26 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

remy wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Here's a set I recently finished putting together. That I quite like.

Smith, Tom Bombadil, and Farmer Giles. 1990. Some early instances of the oval Tolkien monogram here with the Roger Garland cover art. All 1st prints, although I don't think they ever got a re-print.

Presume these are the Unwin Hyman UK Editions? They were all reprinted in 1991.

Or are they the USA Editions? (Think it was only Bombadil that was reprinted in the USA Editions)

They are the HoughtonMifflin editions. Yes, I just looked and you're right TB got a reprint in '95
Aug 21
2021/8/21 18:41:37 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I’ve been trying to get this one (2005 Extended) for about a year now. For some reason the asking price for copies of this, when they do come up, is around $200 or more, which has never seemed appropriate to me. I got this copy for $15 + $3 shipping :)

5109_612147e903f67.jpeg 4032X3024 px
Aug 21
2021/8/21 19:26:40 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Philomythos wrote:

I’ve been trying to get this one (2005 Extended) for about a year now. For some reason the asking price for copies of this, when they do come up, is around $200 or more, which has never seemed appropriate to me. I got this copy for $15 + $3 shipping :)

Philomythos that's a great deal. I've never seen one listed for so cheap.
Aug 21
2021/8/21 20:42:20 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Philomythos wrote:

I’ve been trying to get this one (2005 Extended) for about a year now. For some reason the asking price for copies of this, when they do come up, is around $200 or more, which has never seemed appropriate to me. I got this copy for $15 + $3 shipping :)


That was a great deal - they certainly don't come up very often, and certainly not without daft asking prices.
Aug 22
2021/8/22 19:45:30 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Here's a set I recently finished putting together. That I quite like.

Smith, Tom Bombadil, and Farmer Giles. 1990. Some early instances of the oval Tolkien monogram here with the Roger Garland cover art. All 1st prints, although I don't think they ever got a re-print.

*Edit: 1991, and Tom Bombadil did get a 2nd print in 1995.

These editions look great - first time I see them! Congrats
Aug 24
2021/8/24 19:15:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Excellent deal. This is my favorite minor Tolkien work. When this edition first came out, I bought two copies--one that I've annotated like crazy and one like new.

For those interested, I have a new article coming out in Tolkien Studies on Smith of W. Part of the article is about the religious symbolism in the story (I realize not everyone is interested in this aspect of Tolkien's work on TCG) and the other part focuses on the autobiographical elements of the story. Hopefully, something for everyone...

I originally had several excerpts from unpublished letters, but unfortunately , the Tolkien Estate did not grant me permission to quote from those letters.
Aug 29
2021/8/29 14:08:58 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
A "little" update of the last 6 months which have had an excellent harvest

I do not detail the UK / US editions (they are all 1st print), you already know them well.
As for the French editions, here are some details for the most interesting editions :
5th photo :
- Hobbit 1969 - first French edition (Grail of French editions)
- Hobbit 76 - mini book illustrated by Chica
- LOTR 78-80 - re-edition of first French edition with visuals from Bakshi's films (very difficult to find)
6th photo :
- Hobbit 2013 - deluxe edition (the only one in French)

Si certains souhaitent plus de précisions sur les éditions françaises pour la collection, feel free to ask

4998_612b8d1aca9c1.jpg 3264X2448 px

4998_612b8d732b23b.jpg 3264X2448 px

4998_612b8dd595dec.jpg 3264X2448 px

4998_612b8ecfcc1a9.jpg 3264X2448 px

4998_612b90eb47c31.jpg 3264X2448 px

4998_612b90eb495db.jpg 2470X1852 px

4998_612b90eb4aa9d.jpg 3264X2448 px
Jump to Last