Beowulf
$73.02
TolkienGuide is a Blackwell's affiliate
Tolkien Collector's Guide
1...5556575859...65
Oct 25
2021/10/25 19:44:17 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

emilien wrote:

Hello dear fellow Tolkien collectors.
I would like to share with you two of my recent acquisitions, which were by far a dream I would never imagine to fulfill.
I managed to acquire one of the scarcest Tolkien items :

- A Northern Venture (Leeds University English School Association, The Swan Press, 1923)


Congratulations!

I will have to put this Northern Venture into my "the one that got away" bin. I talked with the seller, they agreed to sell it to me, and then a day later said "someone else offered more, I've already sold it to them, sorry!" without any hint that the acceptance of my offer was being rescinded. Not your fault in any way, just one of those things where non-professional sellers don't always do what you expect.
Oct 25
2021/10/25 19:55:34 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Urulókë wrote:

emilien wrote:

Hello dear fellow Tolkien collectors.
I would like to share with you two of my recent acquisitions, which were by far a dream I would never imagine to fulfill.
I managed to acquire one of the scarcest Tolkien items :

- A Northern Venture (Leeds University English School Association, The Swan Press, 1923)


Congratulations!

I will have to put this Northern Venture into my "the one that got away" bin. I talked with the seller, they agreed to sell it to me, and then a day later said "someone else offered more, I've already sold it to them, sorry!" without any hint that the acceptance of my offer was being rescinded. Not your fault in any way, just one of those things where non-professional sellers don't always do what you expect.

I think which has helped was I sent him a message before he was listing his books. Plus the fact that I told him I would also willing to grab OP. Btw, I have also asked for a signed US Silm by C.T. but he has already sold it to another fellow... I think I was lucky enough with those two. It's just a matter of timing and luck. The next will be yours. As Stu said to me when he purchased his second 1998 signed Silmarillion : "books are like buses, sometimes you're waiting for them for one hour, and two are coming the next few minutes..."
Oct 25
2021/10/25 20:05:25 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
No hard feelings (certainly not to you, but also not to the seller), this is just one of those things that happens in decades of collecting.

I don't mind blind auctions ("send me your best offer, and the highest will get it, no counterbids") which is really how this seems to have ended up being done. My quibble was just with the "I accept your offer, I will send you details on how to pay me tomorrow", followed by "sorry I sold it to someone else" the next day. Just an emotional u-turn.

I did get a significant run of The Gryphon from 1920 to 1925 last week though, so I have nothing to complain about. 😁😁
Oct 25
2021/10/25 20:13:39 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Urulókë wrote:

No hard feelings (certainly not to you, but also not to the seller), this is just one of those things that happens in decades of collecting.

I don't mind blind auctions ("send me your best offer, and the highest will get it, no counterbids") which is really how this seems to have ended up being done. My quibble was just with the "I accept your offer, I will send you details on how to pay me tomorrow", followed by "sorry I sold it to someone else" the next day. Just an emotional u-turn.

I did get a significant run of The Gryphon from 1920 to 1925 last week though, so I have nothing to complain about. 😁😁

You've certainly nothing to complain about Congrats !!!
Regarding your story, I have already experienced this, so I totally understand.
Oct 25
2021/10/25 22:15:15 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Congratulations to one and commiserations to the other re the Northern Venture!
Oct 26
2021/10/26 6:00:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Congratulations emilien, great acquisitions!
Oct 26
2021/10/26 6:02:49 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Thank you Mauro D86 and ShadowFx !
Oct 26
2021/10/26 6:05:19 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Congrats to your great acquisitions, emilien
Now I know the reason of your inquiry
Oct 26
2021/10/26 7:54:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ithildin wrote:

Congrats to your great acquisitions, emilien
Now I know the reason of your inquiry


Thank you Ithildin
Oct 26
2021/10/26 17:54:55 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Wow, fantastic emilien! Congrats to you...also snatching books from Urulókë?...if your account gets deactivated you'll know why
1...5556575859...65
Jump to Last