Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 2:47:36 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult haha Also, you never know - maybe they were able to sign the books (or at least the page indicating it's limited, with the numbering on it) BEFORE the virus shut down the world?

If they did then it would have been in the HarperCollins announcement that it was signed by all three of the illustrators.
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 2:49:01 PM UTC
I think, with proper planning prior to production it would have been fairly easy for HC to get all 3,000 signed by all 3 artists.

Simply produce a unique page that would go towards the front of the book with a space for each artist to sign -- as well as a place indicating the # out of 3,000. Print 3,000 (or maybe some extras in case of an accident) and then ship them off to one of the artists with a prepaid label for their next destination.

Once each artist has signed them, the pages could go to someone at HC to proof and number and then back to the printer to be incorporated into the final printing/binding.

Not the easiest task but ultimately not something that is impossible or even that difficult with preplanning.

It's also possible that HC had intended to get all 3 artists together in one place for a signing prior to covid.
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 2:51:58 PM UTC
It is 4000 not 3000 copies and I think they probably thought about doing this, but covid stopped that from happening.
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 2:55:04 PM UTC
True :( Just unfortunate, given that the limited-edition Sketchbook set was signed and this one won't be. It makes sense, but I'm talking about in relation to the actual product itself. NORMALLY, I can see there being a book tour (The Children of Hurin, Beren and Luthien, The Fall of Gondolin and The Hobbit Sketchbook...) possibly with all three artists. Given that HarperCollins is situated in the UK, and so is Alan Lee, he would be the most likely candidate to sign and number them. Ted Nasmith was also in the UK for the 2019 Tolkien event, and Switzerland isn't too far off......

Any thoughts on what those two posters will be? Until today's announcement, I had just assumed that the dustjacket design for the standard edition would appear as a frontispiece. My guess: that's one of the posters, as well as 'The Blue Wizards Journeying East.'
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 3:00:01 PM UTC
I think it's pretty obvious that sending 4000 signature sheets to three artists is a pretty long winded affair at the best of times. That is 12000 signatures.

They would have to be tracked door to door, they would not be posted by the cheapest delivery service but a courier. They would need to be packed carefully, then once all three had signed, the pages would need to be checked to make sure none were missed, then placed at the desired place and added to the books.

It's not such an easy thing and would add unknown expense to the final product, especially in these times. The weight would be extraordinary. Just pick up the new illustrated box, it would be 3 times the weight at least.
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 4:40:41 PM UTC
Does anyone have any thoughts about the two posters the limited edition will include?
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 8:58:08 PM UTC
FWIW, "Limited to a worldwide first printing of just 4,000 copies," is a very clear statement that this is absolutely *not* a limited edition.

It is nothing more than a statement of how big the first print run is (and it is pretty much exactly what I would have expected -- quite big).
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 9:30:13 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

FWIW, "Limited to a worldwide first printing of just 4,000 copies," is a very clear statement that this is absolutely *not* a limited edition.

It is nothing more than a statement of how big the first print run is (and it is pretty much exactly what I would have expected -- quite big).

Wholeheartedly agree with this, just been too busy to write the same thing. Thanks Stu.
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 10:10:50 PM UTC
The coolest thing to me about this particular edition, is that they are using three different artists in one volume. UT is a cobbling together of various stories, so I think it's interesting that you get three different artist's take.
24 Jul, 2020
2020-7-24 12:23:52 AM UTC
Assume it is limited, that way you won't miss out by accident.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us