Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Sep, 2020
2020-9-24 3:32:35 PM UTC
I've booked as well
24 Sep, 2020
2020-9-24 3:34:45 PM UTC
Am I correct in that you need a UK delivery address to book? And it's 5 GBP to attend via Zoom?
24 Sep, 2020
2020-9-24 3:44:01 PM UTC
It is confusing, and not well set up. There are two ticket types:

• Zoom only - £5. No UK address required, but you will have to answer a few mandatory questions about book shipment (title ie "Mr. or Mrs. or etc.", and "book recipient's last name"), but you do not have to enter an address at all

• Zoom plus book - £32 - UK shipping address required. If you put in a non UK address, or no address at all, you will not a get a book (or a refund for the £27 difference in cost). The book is the standard edition, and not signed (that I am aware of).
24 Sep, 2020
2020-9-24 4:02:12 PM UTC

Tapuvae wrote:

Sorry to ask a very amateur question, but do these books typically get offered for cheaper in the days following release? Price has been steady at 75 GBP on Amazon for some time now.

Sorry, didn't mean to skip answering this in my previous post.

There may be some fluctuation in the week after release, but I don't expect any better price (for non-UK buyers) after that.

For a previous title, I pre-ordered from Amazon UK for a pretty good price (but not the best discussed here). My book was shipped a day or two before release (standard practice so it arrives "on release day") and I was charged the pre-order price. At release day, Amazon UK dropped briefly to be more competitive with other online sellers, and gave me a price-correction rebate for the better price. Nice! For FCL deluxe, I tried a different seller (awesomebooks[.]com) and eventually got the book, but didn't have a great experience with them. See here for more detail on that. Also see that thread for other people's experiences with waiting for better prices and then getting "out of stock" from those sellers. There is risk (and potential reward) in waiting for best prices.

Also I am not in the UK - inside the UK (for UK titles) there are a lot of other options for online ordering that are very competitive in price. SpeedyHen comes immediately to mind, but they won't ship outside the UK.
24 Sep, 2020
2020-9-24 4:12:21 PM UTC
So, both the Deluxe and standard editions release next Thursday. Say I order both on October 10th which is the following weekend.

Will the price for both be a whole lot different then?
24 Sep, 2020
2020-9-24 4:28:20 PM UTC
Sadly I won't be free for this but I look forward to reading your interviews with the artists. I am really glad that Ted is getting some time to showcase his skills. He is such an extraordinary artist. And thank you to Trotter for posting details.

Urulókë wrote:

Trotter wrote:

Join legendary artists Alan Lee, John Howe and Ted Nasmith as we launch the 40th anniversary edition of J. R. R Tolkien's Unfinished Tales via Zoom.

Thanks for posting this Trotter, I was just composing mine when I saw you beat me to it by moments. I have booked my virtual ticket already.

My interviews with the three artists are nearing completion and will be up here as well soon. Very excited for this release.
24 Sep, 2020
2020-9-24 6:43:00 PM UTC
Thanks a lot for the info! I don't post very often, but I follow this forum with interest from the shadows! It is a wonderful source of information...I have booked as weel!
24 Sep, 2020
2020-9-24 7:16:08 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Tapuvae wrote:

Sorry to ask a very amateur question, but do these books typically get offered for cheaper in the days following release? Price has been steady at 75 GBP on Amazon for some time now.

Not sure what other people think, but I think it is the other way round, they tend to start cheaper before release date and then go up in price after that.

For Amazon, the price usually dips just after release and then creeps back up. Usually pre-ordering ends up being a little more expensive, but anybody's guess.
24 Sep, 2020
2020-9-24 7:31:56 PM UTC
I don't know what country you are in, Tapuvae, but I can confirm what Stu says about shopping on Amazon.fr. Pre-orders always cost around 10 (sometimes 20) euros more than books a few weeks after release.
24 Sep, 2020 (edited)
2020-9-24 7:47:36 PM UTC
A Great Read have the deluxe for £61.68 (postage inclusive for UK) currently. https://agreatread.co.uk/unfinished-tales-9780008387969/
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us