Tolkien Collector's Guide
1...1011121314...26
Jul 24
2020/7/24 2:10:20 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

insurrbution wrote:

Assume it is limited, that way you won't miss out by accident.

I fully intend to miss out on this, entirely deliberately.
Jul 24
2020/7/24 5:02:01 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

Assume it is limited, that way you won't miss out by accident.

I fully intend to miss out on this, entirely deliberately.

But it's SO sumptuous!
Jul 24
2020/7/24 9:01:35 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

Assume it is limited, that way you won't miss out by accident.

I fully intend to miss out on this, entirely deliberately.

I broke my rule of only buying new works if they offer something new by Tolkien himself when I bought the new illustrated box and I will buy that 'standard' set if it continues beyond UT but otherwise I am done with new releases by Tolkien. The obvious exception is when a new edition corrects textual errors (which the new box-set actually did to a degree). I would rather buy books about Tolkien at this point.

If HarperCollins and the Estate want my money then they have to work a bit harder.
Jul 24
2020/7/24 10:24:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Agreed. As nice as these new editions are, I’ll be sitting them out. Eventually someone will share pics of the new illustrations online and I’ll enjoy glancing over them. And that’ll be it for me. I’m not a completist and don’t need to own them.

As always, I’m happy for those who are interested and have something to look forward to for adding to their collections. I know the feeling. 🙂
Jul 24
2020/7/24 20:58:30 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Eorl wrote:

Agreed. As nice as these new editions are, I’ll be sitting them out. Eventually someone will share pics of the new illustrations online and I’ll enjoy glancing over them. And that’ll be it for me. I’m not a completist and don’t need to own them.

As always, I’m happy for those who are interested and have something to look forward to for adding to their collections. I know the feeling. 🙂

That's how I feel. Even if it something I don't personally want, I do like seeing the pictures and knowing what it is. Bibliographic interest and all that.
Aug 25
2020/8/25 17:29:13 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
So let's break down how the standard hardback may be like:

- what colour do you think the book itself would be?
- will it have a ribbon-marker?
- do you think the map will be printed on the boards, or fold-out at the back?

At those point those are the only questions in terms of some features of the physical (standard edition) book.
Aug 25
2020/8/25 18:42:23 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

insurrbution wrote:

So let's break down how the standard hardback may be like:

- what colour do you think the book itself would be?
- will it have a ribbon-marker?
- do you think the map will be printed on the boards, or fold-out at the back?

I don’t know exactly if speculations are helpful in some way. If we have facts, we are able to discuss about. But if we don’t know nothing about these facts, why surmising?
What insights do you expect from different opinions?
Aug 25
2020/8/25 20:14:28 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I'm agreeing with Ithildin here. I'm not sure what can be added by people guessing.

It is OK for there to be no Tolkien discussion when we have nothing to actually talk about...
Aug 25
2020/8/25 20:38:33 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Speculations are still discussion, which are well-suited to a discussion forum - which is what this website is
Aug 25
2020/8/25 20:44:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

insurrbution wrote:

Speculations are still discussion, which are well-suited to a discussion forum - which is what this website is

I wouldn't compare this forum to others to be honest, speculation seems a subject best suited to Reddit. I am happy to wait and see the book in a couple of months.
1...1011121314...26
Jump to Last