Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

18 Jun, 2020
2020-6-18 11:56:36 PM UTC
Don't forget about this year's, modelled after The Hobbit Sketchbook!
19 Jun, 2020
2020-6-19 7:03:38 AM UTC
I know this but they've already published UT with this cover before, so surely this really isn't likely?
19 Jun, 2020
2020-6-19 2:33:52 PM UTC
Tolkien editions have used the same covers before across various formats and releases before: compare the 2002 illustrated Lord of the Rings boxed, and the 1997 Hobbit hardbacks to the 2008 paperbacks. Same images for both.
19 Jun, 2020
2020-6-19 5:45:23 PM UTC
This product description extract also verifies the new artwork seen throughout the book:

"Now, in a beautifully illustrated edition to celebrate the fortieth anniversary of its original publication, Unfinished Tales Illustrated Edition features original artwork by Tolkien’s most famous and ardent illustrators from over the decades: Alan Lee, John Howe, and Ted Nasmith."

If it was artwork that already exists, I don't think they'd use 'original.'
19 Jun, 2020
2020-6-19 5:59:14 PM UTC
HarprCollins has already announced this (posted above in the thread... https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=24392#forumpost24392)

To celebrate its 40th anniversary, we are hugely excited to announce that Unfinished Tales is for the very first time going to be illustrated, by not one but three of the finest Tolkien artists in the world. John Howe, Alan Lee & Ted Nasmith will each be contributing brand new paintings that depict the Three Ages of Middle-earth in glorious colour. This new edition will be published in October 2020 and will feature 18 full-colour paintings together with a stunning brand-new dustjacket. There will also be a special collector’s edition housed in a fully illustrated slipcase.
19 Jun, 2020 (edited)
2020-6-19 6:13:37 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:
To celebrate its 40th anniversary, we are hugely excited to announce that Unfinished Tales is for the very first time going to be illustrated, by not one but three of the finest Tolkien artists in the world. John Howe, Alan Lee & Ted Nasmith will each be contributing brand new paintings that depict the Three Ages of Middle-earth in glorious colour. This new edition will be published in October 2020 and will feature 18 full-colour paintings together with a stunning brand-new dustjacket. There will also be a special collector’s edition housed in a fully illustrated slipcase.

I for one, am sad that Ted's excellent Blue Wizards are not going to be an illustration in this book. One of his very best illustrations.
19 Jun, 2020 (edited)
2020-6-19 6:20:19 PM UTC
Trotter wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

I for one, am sad that Ted's excellent Blue Wizards are not going to be an illustration in this book. One of his very best illustrations.

Me as well - I have it from the 2010 Tolkien Calendar, and I'll posting it (along with a few book covers from over the years) to social media on its 40th anniversary.
8 Jul, 2020 (edited)
2020-7-8 2:11:05 PM UTC
Goldsboro has both editions signed by Alan Lee. 15% off if you’re a member there.

https://www.goldsborobooks.com/product ... tales-illustrated-edition

https://www.goldsborobooks.com/product ... llustrated-edition-deluxe

[Urulókë admin edit] - listed at £100 for the deluxe, £50 for the trade, before any discounts.
8 Jul, 2020
2020-7-8 2:16:57 PM UTC
Hopefully the other artists can sign copies, as well!
8 Jul, 2020
2020-7-8 2:20:39 PM UTC
insurrbution wrote:
Hopefully the other artists can sign copies, as well!

I wonder who would have the first copy signed by all three artists, not trivial to do, and I'd love to buy a signed copy by John Howe in the first case, as for me he is the hardest signature.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us