Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Mar, 2020
2020-3-3 7:26:03 PM UTC
But didn’t someone on these boards point out that the latest deluxe edition excluded some content which was previously released? Or am I mistaken? ?
3 Mar, 2020
2020-3-3 7:35:34 PM UTC
I expect there will be a new edition at some point that "prints all of the content full-size for the first time", given the small format of the deluxe version, relative to some of the previous printings...

This is just a game publishers play. I'm not totally upset by it, relative to say the "available for a limited time only" nonsense -- that is flat out dishonest.
3 Mar, 2020
2020-3-3 8:06:51 PM UTC

Stu wrote:
....the "available for a limited time only" nonsense -- that is flat out dishonest.

You know something about the heat death of the universe that I don't?

?
3 Mar, 2020
2020-3-3 8:11:50 PM UTC

@Eorl wrote:
But didn’t someone on these boards point out that the latest deluxe edition excluded some content which was previously released? Or am I mistaken? ?

It was a few rears of envelopes that got missed iirc, but what is missing is not the point. "Everything" means everything. Warts and all.
3 Mar, 2020
2020-3-3 11:34:39 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Stu wrote:
....the "available for a limited time only" nonsense -- that is flat out dishonest.

You know something about the heat death of the universe that I don't?

?

Yes, it is happening next Tuesday, but keep it to yourself
4 Mar, 2020
2020-3-4 1:09:48 AM UTC

@Eorl wrote:
I agree. I’m sort of pissed that HC just released a deluxe edition which was supposed to be comprehensive but now HMH is releasing an edition with previously unreleased stuff? ?

Two different publishers....live and let live. If they both by HarperCollins (like they released a gift edition of The Hobbit Facsimile Edition after only the book was published, then I'd be miffed too.

Plus, Houghton Mifflin's Tolkien output is far less than HarperCollins'.
4 Mar, 2020
2020-3-4 1:12:14 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:
I've done a deeper look at the HarperCollins deluxe Letters From Father Christmas with the Houghton Mifflin marketing blurb in mind, and I really feel strongly like they will be the exact same edition. All of the material mentioned by Houghton Mifflin is in the deluxe edition from last year, as far as I can tell.

I'm asking both publishers if there is anything else going on, but I think this is just the marketing department phrasing things differently across the Atlantic for the same exact material. More soon.

That's what I thought - publishers need to 'jazz up' the descriptions of their works to sell them. There have been a few editions of Tolkien books that have been the exact same, very similar, and completely different between the two publishers.
4 Mar, 2020
2020-3-4 8:24:08 AM UTC
Well, my post seems to have fallen into a deep hole, but back after the release of the UK deluxe edition, I pointed out what was new :
https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=23256#forumpost23256

There is no reason to think that the US will be different.
4 Mar, 2020
2020-3-4 3:02:25 PM UTC
Druss - I do remember your post and that’s the one I was referring to

“It's from far the most complete edition, but it lacks two or three back of envelopes present in old editions (it's only details, though).”
4 Mar, 2020
2020-3-4 3:55:56 PM UTC
I'm sure there's no need to say this, though my previous 2 posts weren't intended to be snappy, if they seemed to be.

I was only saying (perhaps poorly) that "there will ALWAYS be a new edition coming out."
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us