Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

The Hobbit Narrated by Martin Shaw [Abridged]

12 Jun, 2020
2020-6-12 6:44:24 PM UTC

I have a question, and I've tried looking on the net but to avail.

What is the tracklisting of The Hobbit narrated by Martin Shaw? I'm aware that this release is abridged, and am not expecting a full reading (for that one should turn to Rob Inglis).

In short, how abridged is it? Many thanks for your feedback if anyone can fill me in. I see this release as an 'audio highlights' as opposed to a full audiobook.

4598_5ee3cccdb0097.jpg 500X500 px
12 Jun, 2020
2020-6-12 7:51:31 PM UTC
All the singing is removed, the description of Bilbo's house, his climb up the tree with the butterflies are both removed. That is just from what I have read online. I can get through this story in 4 hours so I really can't fathom why it was ever abridged.
12 Jun, 2020
2020-6-12 8:00:42 PM UTC
My guess, is that since the cover art has always matched up with the younger editions of the book (with the David Wyatt chapter illustrations, usually located in the kids/teen section of the bookstore, as opposed to 'fantasy') is that it's intended for a younger audience.

Comparing them, the Rob Inglis one has a runtime of 11 hours, 5 min (over 10 CDs) with the Shaw reading coming in at 5 hrs 57 min, over 5 CDs.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us