Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

22 Aug, 2020
2020-8-22 10:08:36 PM UTC
I'm in the opposite camp here. I would absolutely love for Folio to do, say the Great Tales or even HoME, but I'd want it to match the existing style. My caveat would be to ditch the Chinese printers...
22 Aug, 2020
2020-8-22 10:26:25 PM UTC
I'm in the "needs a new style" camp for Folio. I have TH and Sil first prints (and the white faux leather quarter bound LoTR), and whilst they are well put together I do not think they are attractive books. For me to give Folio any money, it would need to be a new style and not printed in China. I doubt both of these conditions will ever come to pass.
23 Aug, 2020
2020-8-23 11:31:46 AM UTC
I suspect FS have some sort of legacy agreements in place for the Tolkien titles they currently publish; with optional extensions to those licenses. And, while that's easy to manage, they simple don't have the money or the appetite to add more. Plus, they are, after all, still a "publish classics" publisher; and right now they have the standard Tolkien classics. Maybe these other titles don't interest them?

They should refinitely reboot those they have tho'.
23 Aug, 2020
2020-8-23 11:51:03 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Plus, they are, after all, still a "publish classics" publisher;

I feel their devotion to Ian Flemming's Bond series is evidence to the contrary. But I might be cherry picking here to support wanting something I probably can't have.
23 Aug, 2020
2020-8-23 12:52:44 PM UTC
I admit I have no idea what they publish now but I suppose I meant their historical mode of operation. They probably haven't signed an agreement with the Tolkien Estate &/or HC since the late 90's.
23 Aug, 2020
2020-8-23 1:05:10 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

I admit I have no idea what they publish now but I suppose I meant their historical mode of operation. They probably haven't signed an agreement with the Tolkien Estate &/or HC since the late 90's.

I think they have signed agreements with HC, the Folio Society sold the SuperDeluxe Sigurd and Gudrun for HC.
23 Aug, 2020
2020-8-23 2:13:25 PM UTC
Indeed. That wasn't a publishing agreement though; that was them just shifting dead stock. But, yeh, I didn't mean they had no relationship.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us