Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

22 Sep, 2020
2020-9-22 9:20:03 PM UTC
Correct, that dust jacket is a second impression without the info, my dust jacket does have it.
But overall my collection suggests they generally stopped putting the info on the bottom of the rear flap in 1957.
22 Sep, 2020
2020-9-22 9:38:38 PM UTC
The correspondence files indicate that some changes were made to the jacket for the second impression.

The book was printed on thinner paper so did not bulk as much. The binders were asked to use heavier boards to compensate for the reduced thickness of the book, but it was necessary to adjust the spacing on the jacket between the spine text, the upper/lower cover text and the flap text to keep everything correctly aligned.

There is no mention of the text on the rear flap being omitted and then reinstated, but it possible that this happened and was corrected at some stage, whether at the proof stage or during production.

A&U weren't averse to using proof jackets later on, so if this slip didn't happen as part of the production run, it could quite easily just be a case of A&U replacing a damaged jacket with something they had on file - in the 1950s, A&U did still correct defects to individual books - whether it be binding errors or missing maps or similar.
22 Sep, 2020
2020-9-22 10:27:05 PM UTC

Deagol wrote:

There is no mention of the text on the rear flap being omitted and then reinstated, but it possible that this happened and was corrected at some stage, whether at the proof stage or during production.

A&U weren't averse to using proof jackets later on, so if this slip didn't happen as part of the production run, it could quite easily just be a case of A&U replacing a damaged jacket with something they had on file - in the 1950s, A&U did still correct defects to individual books - whether it be binding errors or missing maps or similar.

Thank you Deagol (and Lokki)! That's great to know and that explanation definitely seems plausible.

Urulókë, for the record my earlier post that shows one picture of the front flap and two close ups of the lower flap - that is from the eBay listing in question. The seller sent me those pictures so the flaps can be clearly seen there.

Correcting defects to individual books - those were better times.
22 Sep, 2020
2020-9-22 10:46:05 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

Correcting defects to individual books - those were better times.

Careful, you will be sounding as old as me with that attitude
25 Sep, 2020
2020-9-25 9:41:54 PM UTC
Did anyone here buy it?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us