Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Dec, 2020
2020-12-9 7:16:25 PM UTC
I won't get time to watch the video today. Was the question of "why the property needs saving" answered?
9 Dec, 2020
2020-12-9 7:27:37 PM UTC
the reply was on the lines of 'We want to save the house from going to a private buyer, thus being lost to the Tolkien community'.
9 Dec, 2020
2020-12-9 7:36:30 PM UTC
Right, so they want to save a family home from being a family home, and thus the entire project continues to be founded on an untruth (that the house is at risk of anything -- other than not being owned by them).

I'll watch the video before commenting further, but doesn't sound like there was much substance.
9 Dec, 2020
2020-12-9 7:37:51 PM UTC
The "Project Northmoor" YouTube account posted this in the comment stream for that question, as well:

It would also be unfortunate if someone acquired the home and petitioned to remove or alter the listed status, which could be a possibility.

My understanding is

So the only danger of 20 Northmoor Road being delisted if it suddenly has no historic interest.

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 11.44.31 AM.png
9 Dec, 2020
2020-12-9 7:46:01 PM UTC
Is is correct that the house is designated a historical landmark by the UK Government, so even if this sale goes through, they cannot change certain things about house...or is this information incorrect?
9 Dec, 2020
2020-12-9 7:52:26 PM UTC
Another important thread from the chat with "Project Northmoor" official YouTube channel representative (text trims some unrelated comments, images show the original chat)

onthe trail @Project Northmoor Road have you sought legal advice about the changes you wish to make?

Project Northmoor @onthe trail Yes, from the top legal resources in the UK

TolkienGuide Those top legal resources think a treehouse and hobbit hole are approved changes to the property?

Project Northmoor @TolkienGuide All guidelines will be followed 100%

TolkienGuide @Project Northmoor - fully understood, there's no question you would not follow the guidelines. I am asking - does a treehouse meet the guidelines?

Project Northmoor @TolkienGuide Sorry I don't have that answer at this moment but noted it and will update the FAQ's as able. Good question.

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 11.46.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 11.47.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 11.47.36 AM.png
9 Dec, 2020
2020-12-9 7:55:47 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Is is correct that the house is designated a historical landmark by the UK Government, so even if this sale goes through, they cannot change certain things about house...or is this information incorrect?

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1391361

What does this mean? From https://historicengland.org.uk/listing ... gnation/listed-buildings/

Listing is not a preservation order, preventing change. It does not freeze a building in time, it simply means that listed building consent must be applied for in order to make any changes to that building which might affect its special interest.

Listed buildings are to be enjoyed and used, like any other building. Listed buildings can be altered, extended and sometimes even demolished within government planning guidance. The local authority uses listed building consent to make decisions that balance the site's historic significance against other issues, such as its function, condition or viability.
9 Dec, 2020
2020-12-9 7:59:36 PM UTC
I think I'm most disappointed with the celebrities on this -- they have such power to influence people that they have a duty to really do their due-diligence on the things they promote. In this case, it feels like wealthy actors being extraordinarily out of touch with what is important, and that their influence will make people who have little to spare give to a cause that has no importance (and is fundamentally based on a premise that doesn't hold up to even the mildest scrutiny). I'm disappointed by Sir Ian more than anyone as I have an awful lot of respect for him as a person.
9 Dec, 2020
2020-12-9 8:05:43 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1391361

What does this mean? From https://historicengland.org.uk/listing ... gnation/listed-buildings/

Listing is not a preservation order, preventing change. It does not freeze a building in time, it simply means that listed building consent must be applied for in order to make any changes to that building which might affect its special interest.

Listed buildings are to be enjoyed and used, like any other building. Listed buildings can be altered, extended and sometimes even demolished within government planning guidance. The local authority uses listed building consent to make decisions that balance the site's historic significance against other issues, such as its function, condition or viability.

I see, so it's just subject to more government oversight and approval...
9 Dec, 2020
2020-12-9 8:10:23 PM UTC
"The top legal resources in the UK", but they can't name them. Consider me skeptical.

Ryzsard: "Saved from not being bought by us" - I actually said that earlier as a cynical joke, so at least they are being honest... :facepalm:
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us