Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

4 Jan, 2021
2021-1-4 8:44:48 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

From copyrights expiring to TCG members expiring. Thread derailment in 2021.

Yeah, I should set up a Kickstarter project to raise money to save me.
4 Jan, 2021
2021-1-4 8:46:09 PM UTC
In the meantime, here's all of us arguing about the same thing two years ago...

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... php?topic_id=3332&start=0

4 Jan, 2021
2021-1-4 10:52:17 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

I don't see how pure transcription of a text could give copyright to the transcriber.

Because there is no such thing as a "pure transcription". The job of an editor of a manuscript (especially a handwritten one, and more especially still one with layers of emendation) is more of interpretation than of mechanical "transcription". Check out my contribution, "Editing the Tolkienian Manuscript", to the forthcoming memorial volume for Christopher Tolkien, to see more precisely what I mean.
4 Jan, 2021
2021-1-4 11:08:40 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

Check out my contribution, "Editing the Tolkienian Manuscript", to the forthcoming memorial volume for Christopher Tolkien, to see more precisely what I mean.

So... when can we check this out? ;)
4 Jan, 2021
2021-1-4 11:34:09 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

Stu wrote:

I don't see how pure transcription of a text could give copyright to the transcriber.

Because there is no such thing as a "pure transcription". The job of an editor of a manuscript (especially a handwritten one, and more especially still one with layers of emendation) is more of interpretation than of mechanical "transcription". Check out my contribution, "Editing the Tolkienian Manuscript", to the forthcoming memorial volume for Christopher Tolkien, to see more precisely what I mean.

Like I say, I think that would be for the courts to decide if/when the time comes (and I very much doubt we would see consistent rulings on it).
5 Jan, 2021
2021-1-5 8:05:37 AM UTC
This is also briefly, and interestingly, touched upon in Tolkien's Lost Chaucer where Bowers talks about Tolkien's style of editing. Point is, Tolkien's critical editions of these medieval manuscripts are most certainly works that were published and copyrighted in the 20th century. The editorial hand in these is legally seen as allowing copyright to be established, and that copyright to be held by those editors (&/or publishers). This, despite the works themselves being ancient and clearly not in copyright. Don't think Christopher is doing anything different with HoME.
5 Jan, 2021
2021-1-5 4:38:01 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

This is also briefly, and interestingly, touched upon in Tolkien's Lost Chaucer where Bowers talks about Tolkien's style of editing. Point is, Tolkien's critical editions of these medieval manuscripts are most certainly works that were published and copyrighted in the 20th century. The editorial hand in these is legally seen as allowing copyright to be established, and that copyright to be held by those editors (&/or publishers). This, despite the works themselves being ancient and clearly not in copyright. Don't think Christopher is doing anything different with HoME.

But Christopher by his own admission was presenting texts with minor corrections. He was not translating texts bringing them into a modern form or editing them like Joshi was with Lovecraft. They are very different exercises.

I also feel we are (all of us) getting into the realm of guesswork here. None of us have a proper understanding of the laws, a cursory chat with my friend suggested we ask Tolkien Estate lawyers for clarification over it. They would know best.
5 Jan, 2021
2021-1-5 5:36:57 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Christopher by his own admission was presenting texts with minor corrections.

Have you read HoMe? That doesn't match what Christopher actually did at all. That's almost never how editing Tolkien's manuscripts works.
5 Jan, 2021
2021-1-5 5:50:57 PM UTC
I'm assuming the copyright situation on Unfinished Tales is the same as on HoMe then? It's not as heavily edited as The Silmarillion but Christopher Tolkien admits to editing some of the texts for clarity purposes.
5 Jan, 2021
2021-1-5 5:52:10 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Christopher by his own admission was presenting texts with minor corrections.

Have you read HoMe? That doesn't match what Christopher actually did at all. That's almost never how editing Tolkien's manuscripts works.

Yes. Christopher Tolkien says in the foreword to Lost Tales that "the texts are given in a form very close to that of the original manuscripts. Only the most minor and obvious slips have been silently corrected". I take that to mean his editorial presence is minimal. Certainly in regard of those volumes.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us