Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

6 Feb, 2021
2021-2-6 3:19:00 PM UTC
For academics publish-or-perish is still a very real thing. Launching and editing a journal with an academic publisher is coin of the realm, as is getting a piece published in a peer-reviewed academic journal; self-publishing is not. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
6 Feb, 2021
2021-2-6 8:29:31 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

For academics publish-or-perish is still a very real thing. Launching and editing a journal with an academic publisher is coin of the realm, as is getting a piece published in a peer-reviewed academic journal; self-publishing is not. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I see the "degree-shop" model of University that has proliferated over the last 20-or-so years changing, and I think the similar low-quality publications (the ones that literally exist so the authors can claim to be published) will change with it. Education is going to undergo massive change, IMHO.
7 Feb, 2021
2021-2-7 4:58:27 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Education is going to undergo massive change, IMHO.

I dunno, seems to be working just as intended for those who cultivated this system.
7 Feb, 2021
2021-2-7 5:21:37 AM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

Stu wrote:

I dunno, seems to be working just as intended for those who cultivated this system.

Not entirely - whole industries are moving away from wanting degrees due to the high cost and poor quality of the education. And the a thing is the loss of free movement of people. Universities scaled up to sell degrees to foreign students, and that market - at least in some places - has evaporated. Without Chinese money (in particular - certainly in AU/NZ), the Universities are hurting.
7 Feb, 2021
2021-2-7 12:36:27 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Caudimordax wrote:

Stu wrote:

Not entirely - whole industries are moving away from wanting degrees due to the high cost and poor quality of the education. And the a thing is the loss of free movement of people. Universities scaled up to sell degrees to foreign students, and that market - at least in some places - has evaporated. Without Chinese money (in particular - certainly in AU/NZ), the Universities are hurting.

Have to agree ith Stu here. Education and as a knock on effect the work force wiill be going through some major changes in the coming years, and the knock effect will be felt through research and publishing alike.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us