Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 10:56:43 PM UTC
Must admit, I don't collect paperbacks, other than in 1970s boxed sets. I don't even have the first puffin because it doesn't meet my criteria! That limits the potential numbers somewhat. I think there are only two or three that I have any desire to obtain at this point, so I can't see me ever going beyond 100.
7 Mar, 2021
2021-3-7 8:19:47 AM UTC
There used to be a deal more, but now I’m at 7.
7 Mar, 2021 (edited)
2021-3-7 9:43:25 AM UTC
I have only 2... the black paperback edition from the 2000s (stole money from my dad’s drawer when I was still a jobless student!) and the HC green deluxe edition (after I got my first job and was able to spend on myself). I eventually told my dad and made it up to him many times over. ?
7 Mar, 2021
2021-3-7 9:47:02 AM UTC
I read stunning numbers in this thread

In my collection there are:
- 7 UK editions (mainly recent editions, nothing special nor valuable) + The Annotated 2003 and The History One-Volume ed.
- 26 Italian editions (both The Hobbit and The Annotated Hobbit) + 2 Wenzel's comics (Italian translations)
- Hobbitus Ille in Latin
7 Mar, 2021
2021-3-7 1:09:14 PM UTC
32 my number, most of them from UK and US, the other part from France.
7 Mar, 2021
2021-3-7 1:47:54 PM UTC
36 - All UK editions except An Hobad and a US Annotated Hobbit signed by Douglas Anderson
7 Mar, 2021
2021-3-7 2:27:14 PM UTC

eorl wrote:

I have only 2... the black paperback edition from the 2000s (stole money from my dad’s drawer when I was still a jobless student!) and the HC green deluxe edition (after I got my first job and was able to spend on myself). I eventually told my dad and made it up to him many times over. ?

Ooh let's not do that again... yeah? Good that you told him, but you're not a teenager, are you? If you are, then I get it, it's a tough time. But I would prefer to mail you some of my Hobbits than to have you 'borrow' money.
7 Mar, 2021
2021-3-7 4:28:41 PM UTC
2 on my end!
There's the Facsimile one that came out few years ago and the one I bought when I was 12-13 years old, in Croatian, published by a now defunct publisher that did a whole series of Tolkien's books. Here's a nice little photo of the collection I took some time ago! What's missing is the Roverandom and Father Christmas Letters, acquired after the snap was taken. There was also an edition of The Annotated Hobbit but I never (sadly) got it. Now I'm waiting for the new edition of The Annotated Hobbit by HC to come out. Hopefully that'll be my lucky no. 3.
7 Mar, 2021
2021-3-7 4:55:57 PM UTC
Haha I'm honestly shocked on the amount of The Hobbit editions some people have, it's wonderful.

I currently own 6 editions, 1 is in the mail and I plan to buy 3 more this year, for a hopeful total of 10 different editions by December 2021!
7 Mar, 2021
2021-3-7 9:20:17 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

eorl wrote:

Ooh let's not do that again... yeah? Good that you told him, but you're not a teenager, are you? If you are, then I get it, it's a tough time. But I would prefer to mail you some of my Hobbits than to have you 'borrow' money.

Hahahaha! I was a teenager in high school back then, and I’m exaggerating when I use the word “stole”.

My dad always left his cupboard unlocked and said I could take money any time I wanted for necessities - so of course whenever he’d ask where I got the money to buy the book (and other books!), and I’d answer with something like “ where else?”, he knew.

I think my dad was actually happy I wasn’t out partying, smoking, drinking, etc. but instead spent my time reading and used any money on books.

In fact whenever he’d find out about book exhibitions (the ones where they sell old books by weight!), he’d go with me to them.

Thanks for offering to send me your Hobbit! ?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us