Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

12 Mar, 2021
2021-3-12 12:30:22 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Always good to get a Ted signature. I only have the two (one on the '92 Super Deluxe). They are definitely far less common than some of the other Tolkien artists. Though John Howe's is even less common, I'd hazard. I think a lot of it is just down the respective artist's locations and their proximity (and interest) in doing signing events.

Very true. I live in the same province as Ted, and we were in talks to meet up for lunch for a chat and a signing. I told him I'd buy him a drink :)

....but this was back in 2019 in talks for happening "next year", then covid happened. Hopefully next year we can meet :)
12 Mar, 2021
2021-3-12 8:03:01 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Always good to get a Ted signature. I only have the two (one on the '92 Super Deluxe). They are definitely far less common than some of the other Tolkien artists. Though John Howe's is even less common, I'd hazard. I think a lot of it is just down the respective artist's locations and their proximity (and interest) in doing signing events.

Yes, we had the pleasure to see John Howe coming in France back in 2018 (although I was not there) for the release of his artbook "A middle-earth traveller". I only have the green little map HB signed by John but I like it.
12 Mar, 2021
2021-3-12 8:08:35 AM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Stu wrote:

Very true. I live in the same province as Ted, and we were in talks to meet up for lunch for a chat and a signing. I told him I'd buy him a drink :)

....but this was back in 2019 in talks for happening "next year", then covid happened. Hopefully next year we can meet :)

Always nice to see an artist in person.
I remember 17 years ago, was working at the Louvre museum bookshop in Paris, and I ran into Alan Lee with his wife and daughters completely randomly. The period was matching with the Alan and John Howe's exibition debut at the BnF in Paris (2004). I remember how ,nice he was, we talked a little bit and he's introduced me to his family. Such a nice, simple and charming person...
12 Mar, 2021
2021-3-12 5:00:07 PM UTC
Yeah, it's almost like ".....well, I know you're a person....but would you mind signing this?"

All three artists seem like great, approachable people. Though I believe John Howe may be the least....er, "public" of them all. Which is completely fine, of course! Just noticed that he seems to like his privacy (John if you're reading this, I meant absolutely no offence).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us