Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 7:58:07 PM UTC

Thorongil wrote:

My frustration with this is that they had a chance to make it match the recent Silmarillion and UT deluxe illustrated editions, and instead they went for... well, that.

Don't get me wrong - I like the look of it on its own, and I'm certainly going to buy it. It's just a shame.

Not everything has to match. The single most boring thing HC has done is release endless matching editions with zero creativity.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 8:37:32 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Thorongil wrote:

My frustration with this is that they had a chance to make it match the recent Silmarillion and UT deluxe illustrated editions, and instead they went for... well, that.

Don't get me wrong - I like the look of it on its own, and I'm certainly going to buy it. It's just a shame.

Not everything has to match. The single most boring thing HC has done is release endless matching editions with zero creativity.

I second that. We have this recently finished set of so called deluxe editions. I don’t think that we need so soon ( if any) a new uniform set. The new announced editions are unexpected and surprising and much more ‘deluxe’ as discussed lately here. I’m very pleased and hope to see more individual editions like this in the future.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 9:31:54 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Ithildin wrote:

Berelach wrote:

"fully illustrated in colour for the first time by the author himself"

I love the idea of having (for the first time, right?) Tolkien's illustrations set throughout a LotR edition. Hopefully buyers won't be let down when they find out what 'fully' means.

There is much more than the page of the book of Mazarbul: it could be illuminated by his full worked out pictures (Rivendell, ,Old Man Willow, Moria Gate, Lothlorien, Brad-dûr) and also by sketches like Helm's Deep, Orthanc, or Buckland Ferry, for example...

From the description (back at the top of this thread)

"thirty colour illustrations, maps and sketches drawn by Tolkien himself as he composed this epic work"

Sure, it won't be any surprise which illustrations, etc. are used... you can just flip through 'The Art of the LotR' to see what's available. I think it will be fantastic, just less of a complete polished package when compared with his Hobbit art editions, or other artist's recently illustrated Tolkien editions.

I wonder which selection of pictures will make it to this edition.
I wish for the The Book of Mazarbul to be printed in separate leaves instead of a fold out, and also would be interesting to see The Doors of Durin as white line on black, as Tolkien intended.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 9:32:03 PM UTC

Ithildin wrote:

Stu wrote:

Thorongil wrote:

I second that. We have this recently finished set of so called deluxe editions. I don’t think that we need so soon ( if any) a new uniform set. The new announced editions are unexpected and surprising and much more ‘deluxe’ as discussed lately here. I’m very pleased and hope to see more individual editions like this in the future.

On reflection I quite agree with you. I think I’ll feel better once I’ve tracked down a 2004 deluxe slipcase edition to match my others!
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 10:32:19 PM UTC
I'm in! I like both books.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 10:35:15 PM UTC
I may be in the minority but I think the edge of the trade edition is rather garish. I’m so glad the deluxe will have simple gold gilt - I prefer simple elegance.

Do we know what the cost is expected to be? I briefly skimmed through the last 6 pages so I may have missed it. Amazon doesn’t show the price yet.

As for consistency... my only wish is they would keep the height of all these books the same. That can’t be too much to ask. Some bookshelves look like a hodge podge. ?
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 10:40:07 PM UTC

eorl wrote:

I may be in the minority but I think the edge of the trade edition is rather garish. I’m so glad the deluxe will have simple gold gilt - I prefer simple elegance.

Do we know what the cost is expected to be? I briefly skimmed through the last 6 pages so I may have missed it. Amazon doesn’t show the price yet.

As for consistency... my only wish is they would keep the height of all these books the same. That can’t be too much to ask. Some bookshelves look like a hodge podge. ?

I agree with you 100% on both the height and the edge of the trade. I feel like the edge of the trade is just a gimmick. And spraypainted page edges are definitely not equivalent to topstains in desirability or appearance (IMHO).
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 10:45:56 PM UTC

eorl wrote:

Agree. Not a fan of the look of the trade edition, especially the page edges (but will still buy it).
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 10:53:44 PM UTC
Give me a great fore-edge painting (hand done of course) and I am so there! I don't know if that ring verse is actually going to make it on the final product, but I hope it survives being read/handled if it does.

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2018/07/fore-edge-painting/
25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 12:59:43 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Give me a great fore-edge painting (hand done of course) and I am so there! I don't know if that ring verse is actually going to make it on the final product, but I hope it survives being read/handled if it does.

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2018/07/fore-edge-painting/

Yeah, done as a proper subtle painting is a bit different, I think!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us