Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

10 Oct, 2021
2021-10-10 8:19:56 PM UTC
10 Oct, 2021
2021-10-10 8:31:43 PM UTC
Based on the pictures, I like the new Trade a lot more than I expected to, as thankfully it is a little more muted than the renders. I'd happily live without the fore-edge printing, and - of course - the use of the "trademark signature" (which just looks tacky to me in this context, despite being a very attractive signature).
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 12:24:17 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Based on the pictures, I like the new Trade a lot more than I expected to, as thankfully it is a little more muted than the renders. I'd happily live without the fore-edge printing, and - of course - the use of the "trademark signature" (which just looks tacky to me in this context, despite being a very attractive signature).

Agreed. Also the boxes that both editions are being shipped in was an unexpected treat.
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 1:12:53 PM UTC
Maybe you haven't noticed on the pictures I've posted last saturday, but my copy was having some small tears on the front part of the jacket (near the spine, on the mid upper part, left side).
I have also noticed some coloration issues on the upper and lower text blocks (white stains).
All of this comes, although the box is shrinkwrapped and conditionned into a cardboard box.
So I moved to the shop where I bought the book, and asked for a change. I managed to inspect 2 other copies (which were having damage on the outer blue box) but just wanted to change for a perfect wrapped copy of the book.
On the 2 others I've checked, one book was having an even serious tear on the spine of the DJ plus a white stain issue on the upper text block, the last one was perfect.
This is just an attention point in my opinion : this could'nt be dued to a shipping problem, but it comes from the book manufacturing (white stains) and conditionning (tears on the DJ before shrinkwrapping). So, here we are with another Q/C issue...
I hope all of you would receive a copy without damage...
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 2:11:57 PM UTC
More pictures of the deluxe version can be found at the eBay listing below (which also belongs to "The wonders of...").
Although I was able to pre-order the book for a relatively low price, I am thinking to cancel only because of that signature. It looks really tacky. They should have avoided that and, in general, all those gilted accents.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: lordoftherings77
(1235)
Ended Nov 10, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 4:07:14 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

Maybe you haven't noticed on the pictures I've posted last saturday, but my copy was having some small tears on the front part of the jacket (near the spine, on the mid upper part, left side).
I have also noticed some coloration issues on the upper and lower text blocks (white stains).
All of this comes, although the box is shrinkwrapped and conditionned into a cardboard box.
So I moved to the shop where I bought the book, and asked for a change. I managed to inspect 2 other copies (which were having damage on the outer blue box) but just wanted to change for a perfect wrapped copy of the book.
On the 2 others I've checked, one book was having an even serious tear on the spine of the DJ plus a white stain issue on the upper text block, the last one was perfect.
This is just an attention point in my opinion : this could'nt be dued to a shipping problem, but it comes from the book manufacturing (white stains) and conditionning (tears on the DJ before shrinkwrapping). So, here we are with another Q/C issue...

How sturdy are the publishers boxes they are being shipped in? Same as the standard deluxe boxes?
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 4:53:26 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Emilien wrote:

How sturdy are the publishers boxes they are being shipped in? Same as the standard deluxe boxes?
Not really sturdy... It's thiner than the cardboard boxes use for NoME, or the last deluxe editions of Unfinished Tales and the Silmarillion. But the issue doesn't come from the boxes. It's really during the wrapping process. i have seen no marks on the inside of the box matching the position of the tear on the dust-jacket.
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 7:25:43 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

Nothing neither. But a friend of Bergelmir has received a reply and apparently their answer was evasive...

This is the answer from Blackwell's: "I believe it says Reprint due to it just being another edition of Lord of the Rings, especially with it being sympathetically packaged to reflect the classic look of the first edition and not because this actual edition is in a reprint, as it is published in a few days time."
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 7:33:50 PM UTC

Mauro D86 wrote:

Emilien wrote:

Nothing neither. But a friend of Bergelmir has received a reply and apparently their answer was evasive...

This is the answer from Blackwell's: "I believe it says Reprint due to it just being another edition of Lord of the Rings, especially with it being sympathetically packaged to reflect the classic look of the first edition and not because this actual edition is in a reprint, as it is published in a few days time."

I'm not sure I'd class that as evasive - I think that is just the person who answered's best guess.
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 8:38:23 PM UTC
Really feeling those "classic first edition" vibes...
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us