Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

16 Oct, 2021
2021-10-16 2:37:43 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

If I was going to find something to complain about, the reproductions of the dust jackets that Tolkien drew are so dark that they are kind of hard to see.

Just nit picking I suppose.

I think they used the wrong paper type for the illustrations.
16 Oct, 2021
2021-10-16 2:42:44 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

If I was going to find something to complain about, the reproductions of the dust jackets that Tolkien drew are so dark that they are kind of hard to see.

I think they used the wrong paper type for the illustrations.

Ya, Trotter tell HC, the bright white paper they used needs to be brighter for the 2nd print run.
16 Oct, 2021
2021-10-16 4:22:49 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Obligatory LOTR Deluxe photos. After a pretty detailed scan of the book itself I can find no defects or misprints.

I am very happy with the overall product. The reproduction of some of Tolkien's art does leave something to be desired. If I was going to find something to complain about, the reproductions of the dust jackets that Tolkien drew are so dark that they are kind of hard to see.

I'm not sure it is nitpicking on an expensive *illustrated* edition if the reproduction of the illustrations isn't very good...
16 Oct, 2021
2021-10-16 3:14:53 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Obligatory LOTR Deluxe photos. After a pretty detailed scan of the book itself I can find no defects or misprints.

I am very happy with the overall product. The reproduction of some of Tolkien's art does leave something to be desired. If I was going to find something to complain about, the reproductions of the dust jackets that Tolkien drew are so dark that they are kind of hard to see.

I'm not sure it is nitpicking on an expensive *illustrated* edition if the reproduction of the illustrations isn't very good...

I can agree with that...
16 Oct, 2021 (edited)
2021-10-16 4:36:00 PM UTC
Here's more than 100 images of new editions from what I found. https://imgur.com/a/LaMRHeR

German print edition: https://imgur.com/a/lHkuNra

Videos:

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6 german]

Making of the book videos (ger):

[1] [2]
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 11:45:05 AM UTC
I noticed with my standard editon , that after the dust jacket is off on the sprine of the book you can see that the pattern of glue where they had used too much of it so it leaves a pattern all the way down the spine , when I notice an imperfection like that it makes me little irked , however second copy has been ordered , be interesting to see if Wordery , has now started shipping second printings .
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 1:56:26 PM UTC
Do we know there is already a second impression? Seems quite unlikely sellers would have these at this early a timeframe either way.
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 2:35:50 PM UTC
Well they have been sold out at black wells for a bit , W orderly do have any stock of the deluxe version currently , so it could be very likely that the first edition second printing could be with sellers quite soon , I ordered a second copy of the standard version today and at that time wordery had 50 in stock of the standard edition .

Khamûl wrote:

Do we know there is already a second impression? Seems quite unlikely sellers would have these at this early a timeframe either way.
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 2:45:51 PM UTC
These sellers have likely sold out of the copies they have/had. This doesn't necessarily equate to all first impressions have been sold. We haven't heard that HC are re-printing yet, therefore this speculation seems very premature.
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 2:50:27 PM UTC

Tolkienreader2021 wrote:

Well they have been sold out at black wells for a bit , W orderly do have any stock of the deluxe version currently , so it could be very likely that the first edition second printing could be with sellers quite soon , I ordered a second copy of the standard version today and at that time wordery had 50 in stock of the standard edition .

I highly doubt 2nd prints will be available "quite soon" given all the supply and paper issues plaguing the global supply chain right now. We also don't know the final numbers of the initial run of both the trade and deluxe, so there is no way to know how many are left to sell. So the speculation here on 2nd prints is not helpful...

I'd be interested to know if anyone who has bought NoME this month or buys it next month gets a 2nd print.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us