-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 5:26:33 PM UTC
This could be a sort of guide on which images to expect:

https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Tolkien_Calendar_2005
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 5:56:59 PM UTC
Can we expect Amazon UK to make an extra effort in packaging this one?

If I'm buying a $200 book, I would expect great packaging and a delivery of the item in perfect conditions.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 6:00:30 PM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

If I'm buying a $200 book, I would expect great packaging and a delivery of the item in perfect conditions.

I know this isn't satire but it could be. Amazon sent me two limited edition steelbook movie box sets loose in the same box and even removed the packaging that protected them. I wouldn't bank on a securely packaged product from them.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 6:12:37 PM UTC
I wonder if Houghton Mifflin Harcourt will pick up either of these editions.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 6:16:31 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

I know this isn't satire but it could be. Amazon sent me two limited edition steelbook movie box sets loose in the same box and even removed the packaging that protected them. I wouldn't bank on a securely packaged product from them.

Agreed - if you want good packaging, go with Blackwells or another independent seller would be my recommendation - the "savings" in cost when shopping with the massive online retailers comes from somewhere - usually shipping and handling "efficiencies".
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 6:29:37 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Agreed - if you want good packaging, go with Blackwells or another independent seller would be my recommendation - the "savings" in cost when shopping with the massive online retailers comes from somewhere - usually shipping and handling "efficiencies".

Hmm yes. I thought Amazon UK would maybe make an extra effort for expensive books, but doesn't seem the case. Definitely not buying these from Amazon, then.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 6:33:32 PM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Hmm yes. I thought Amazon UK would maybe make an extra effort for expensive books, but doesn't seem the case. Definitely not buying these from Amazon, then.

I had a couple of negative experiences with Amazon and Book Depository where they just threw the book in a box that was too big with no packing materials. After that I swore both off. And based on what I've seen with Remebrancer and the new Sil, shipping with them hasn't changed much.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 6:55:39 PM UTC
Amazon's shipping practice is:
  • find a box larger than the item in question (book or expensive electronics or anything)
  • put item in box
  • if there is a huge amount of space left over, throw in some butcher paper or air-pockets. Don't worry about filling the actual gaps, just show you noticed
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 7:43:43 PM UTC
I've been lucky with Amazon UK, but it has been getting more iffy as time goes on. And, I am in the USA.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 7:55:35 PM UTC
The Deluxe edition will definitely be getting my money. I don't think the Trade will -- I think the red pages edges are pretty hideous.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us