Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 3:11:27 AM UTC
This is lovely. I remember my dad had a Bible that had this. I also vaguely recall that if you bent the Bible one way, your saw one image, and then there was a different image if you bent it the other way.

Now this would have been a lovely little art form to execute on these deluxe editions. ♥️
25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 3:18:43 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

eorl wrote:

I may be in the minority but I think the edge of the trade edition is rather garish. I’m so glad the deluxe will have simple gold gilt - I prefer simple elegance.

Do we know what the cost is expected to be? I briefly skimmed through the last 6 pages so I may have missed it. Amazon doesn’t show the price yet.

As for consistency... my only wish is they would keep the height of all these books the same. That can’t be too much to ask. Some bookshelves look like a hodge podge. ?

I agree with you 100% on both the height and the edge of the trade. I feel like the edge of the trade is just a gimmick. And spraypainted page edges are definitely not equivalent to topstains in desirability or appearance (IMHO).

I concur. The sprayed sides of the trade edition make me think of the "House Editions" of Harry Potter that Bloomsbury is currently producing. https://harrypotter.bloomsbury.com/uk/ ... 0th-anniversary-editions/ Collect each of the seven books with four different patterns painted on the sides! Perhaps HC could do something similar: Hobbit, Dwarf, Wizard, Elf, Man, and Orc editions - Ha!

I do think the deluxe is quite attractive. Hopefully the leather will be of decent quality.
25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 4:03:25 AM UTC

Karl wrote:

I do think the deluxe is quite attractive. Hopefully the leather will be of decent quality.

I wouldn't have super-high expectations of the leather, given the price point, but hopefully it will be good enough. I'm not expecting super-deluxe CoH leather here, tbh.
25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 4:16:34 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Karl wrote:

I wouldn't have super-high expectations of the leather, given the price point, but hopefully it will be good enough. I'm not expecting super-deluxe CoH leather here, tbh.

Nor am I. I've definitely learned to temper my expectations when it comes to these things. Like you, I'm thinking the large limitation and price point indicates quality below previous "super deluxe" editions.
25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 8:05:29 AM UTC
I think we're talking similar quality to the black incarnation quarter leather bindings of the 1997-2001 era. There is no suggestion this is in "Super Deluxe" territory. They were also (through multiple impressions) printed in edition runs of comparable size.
25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 8:40:08 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

I think we're talking similar quality to the black incarnation quarter leather bindings of the 1997-2001 era. There is no suggestion this is in "Super Deluxe" territory. They were also (through multiple impressions) printed in edition runs of comparable size.

The deluxe edition looks nice, but I second all comments about leather quality. Considering the large print run, it's unlikely we get something like CoH SD. But if we can have similar quality to the black deluxes from 1997 to 2002, that would be nice. Let's hope !
25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 8:41:45 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

That would be my guess, but with ordinary paper, rather than the more expensive and difficult india paper (and a different colour, obviously). I see it as being akin to the first impression of The Hobbit from that range (quarter bound cloth, normal paper, cloth slipcase). The price of the new one would be similar to the price of that one (inflation adjusted), and that was a 2,500 limitation with another couple of thousand printed as a second impression. Looks like it will be a nice, solid deluxe edition.
25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 11:08:22 AM UTC
Amazon has listed the trade at £60. Are they mad? £60 for a trade edition?
25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 11:45:55 AM UTC
It's a hardback trade edition, more like a Deluxe one.

Houghton Mifflin will published the equivalent edition the 19 october :
https://www.heraldsun.com/news/nation- ... nal/article250194805.html
25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 12:17:04 PM UTC

Druss wrote:

It's a hardback trade edition, more like a Deluxe one.

Houghton Mifflin will published the equivalent edition the 19 october :
https://www.heraldsun.com/news/nation- ... nal/article250194805.html

Trade suggests trade, not deluxe. Unless there is something that elevates this above a standard trade hardback then the £60 rrp is grossly higher than it should be.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us