Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

16 Nov, 2021 (edited)
2021-11-16 7:01:26 PM UTC
I just scanned through these pages* [this thread and saw other users'] stuck pages, the double printed pages, the torn insides, the loose threads... I anticipated the worse in the weeks leading up to receiving mine.

I received mine today with (thus far) minimal defects but for these loose threads(?) and a spot of faint yellow (more distinguished in the picture than with naked eye) on the title page.

I'm unsure whether this makes it worth a refund/exchange, knowing that if I exchange direct from HC I would wait for a second printing, but if I exchange it with Amazon there's a change I'll just get a worse defective copy.

Assuming I find no other defects, I still don't know if this is enough to make me refund it altogether, but I still want the publisher to somehow know that they fucked up with this run.

I could use guidance and opinions if anyone can offer some. Thanks, friends. <3

5352_6193fe7805f78.jpg 960X720 px

5352_6193fe7806175.jpg 720X960 px

5352_6193fe7806368.jpg 720X960 px

5352_6193fe780654d.jpg 960X720 px
16 Nov, 2021
2021-11-16 7:04:39 PM UTC

Ravinwe wrote:

I just scanned through these pages and saw the stuck pages, the double printed pages, the torn insides, the loose threads... I anticipated the worse in the weeks leading up to receiving mine.

I received mine today with (thus far) minimal defects but for these loose threads(?) and a spot of faint yellow (more distinguished in the picture than with naked eye) on the title page.

I'm unsure whether this makes it worth a refund/exchange, knowing that if I exchange direct from HC I would wait for a second printing, but if I exchange it with Amazon there's a change I'll just get a worse defective copy.

Assuming I find no other defects, I still don't know if this is enough to make me refund it altogether, but I still want the publisher to somehow know that they fucked up with this run.

I think that a company like HarperCollins need to learn that consumers deserve perfect printings of books. The more people who accept defects (no matter how small) the more this will happen. So I think this is defective enough to be sent back. Your money, your right.
16 Nov, 2021
2021-11-16 7:09:22 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Ravinwe wrote:

I just scanned through these pages and saw the stuck pages, the double printed pages, the torn insides, the loose threads... I anticipated the worse in the weeks leading up to receiving mine.

I think that a company like HarperCollins need to learn that consumers deserve perfect printings of books. The more people who accept defects (no matter how small) the more this will happen. So I think this is defective enough to be sent back. Your money, your right.

That qualifies as a defective copy. Put in for an exchange, you'll get it. There is always a chance that the new copy will have problems as well, just depends on how much you want a new copy.
16 Nov, 2021
2021-11-16 8:05:54 PM UTC
I think most - if not all - copies have the yellow spot on the title page (some more obvious than others, but always in the same place).

I'd probably fix the loose threads (sharp knife and steady hand) etc and tidy that copy myself if they are the only issues. It *should* be returned, but I'm not convinced your replacement will be better - and it might be much worse. On the other hand, having looked at the book in person you might just think it is actually a bit rubbish and simply get a refund. If I wasn't a collector, I wouldn't be keeping a copy of this (and I still may not -- every chance I will sell mine off at some point - I won't collect for the sake of it).

That said, I agree the rejecting books is the only way to send a message to HC that poor quality won't be accepted. You could always email them with your thoughts, even if you don't end up returning it.
16 Nov, 2021
2021-11-16 10:14:52 PM UTC
I'm definitely in agreement with those that said refunding/exchanging is the right thing to do in regards to showing the publisher that their quality control sucks lately. I've been in that choir since that copy-paste error in last year's Unfinished Tales. So I appreciate the unity.

But this is what's making me hesitate:
It *should* be returned, but I'm not convinced your replacement will be better - and it might be much worse.
Especially not knowing how long before a second-printing replacement.

We're gonna read-through/examine the book over the next few days to see if there are any other flaws that would tip the scale even further. I can get over the yellow (esp if it's on many copies) and the loose threads (we're going to write our names in it anyway, we aren't trying to keep it "pristine" for reselling in the future) but I can't get over that they keep releasing expensive but low QC books like this.

They're using readers as their quality control team and charged us for it
16 Nov, 2021
2021-11-16 10:38:01 PM UTC
Things that should be great but are instead hamstrung by perverse incentives is so 2021. I nominate this book release of the year.
16 Nov, 2021
2021-11-16 11:17:22 PM UTC
Well, this edition certainly has been successful so far: no#7 on Publishers' Weekly Bestseller List.

1266_61943be46c38d.png 904X865 px
16 Nov, 2021
2021-11-16 11:25:11 PM UTC
Thanks Olwe - that's for the US edition/market.

Good to see the number, though - 19,880 copies sold so far...
17 Nov, 2021
2021-11-17 5:42:37 PM UTC
I've fired off two e-mail to that HC link in the last two weeks asking for a replacement. No reply at all. Is there any other HC -email contact info, I wonder?
17 Nov, 2021
2021-11-17 5:57:15 PM UTC
If people do find their purchase is faulty they should always, in the first instance, contact the seller for a replacement or refund. If this fails to elicit the desired response, our Customer Service team can then investigate on their behalf. After contacting the seller the contact details for HarperCollins are phone (Glasgow) on +44 141 306 3100 or email [email protected]
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us